hornet's nest

• 14 Replies

agapanthus

hornet's nest
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:36 »
My allotment neighbour has had to give up his allotment due to ill-health. He has kindly said I could have his shed....which I will use here at home. Just one problem......there is a small hornet's nest in the roof just as you go in the doorway. Munt reckons I should get the council in the destroy it but I would rather get shot of it without harming the hornets. Every insect has a place in this world and I don't think that I have the right to destroy them. So.....could anyone give me any advice on how to remove it without harming them or myself. Obviously I would need to cover myself up...great big parka coat with hood done up so that just my eyes are showing,(glasses)  gloves, boots etc., but is there anything else I should know? By the way, I shall be doing this on my own.....can't understand why no-one wants to help me  :(  :wink:

muntjac

hornet's nest
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 13:44 »
leave it till winter they wil move on  and take the whole plot on aggypants ,then you may have room to grow some veggies ...instead all them flowers ponds n uvver stuff ....... :lol: and i got ya ..... on my own bit  :roll:
still alive /............

agapanthus

hornet's nest
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 14:39 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
leave it till winter they wil move on  and take the whole plot on aggypants ,then you may have room to grow some veggies ...instead all them flowers ponds n uvver stuff ....... :lol: and i got ya ..... on my own bit  :roll:

Shut ya gob Munt!!!!!!!!!!  :wink:

Someone else has already got the plot so I need to move it asap.

mkhenry

Re: hornet's nest
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 17:13 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
My allotment neighbour has had to give up his allotment due to ill-health. He has kindly said I could have his shed....which I will use here at home. Just one problem......there is a small hornet's nest in the roof just as you go in the doorway. Munt reckons I should get the council in the destroy it but I would rather get shot of it without harming the hornets. Every insect has a place in this world and I don't think that I have the right to destroy them. So.....could anyone give me any advice on how to remove it without harming them or myself. Obviously I would need to cover myself up...great big parka coat with hood done up so that just my eyes are showing,(glasses)  gloves, boots etc., but is there anything else I should know? By the way, I shall be doing this on my own.....can't understand why no-one wants to help me  :(  :wink:

Only someone who has never seen hornets go crazy would even think of moving a nest.Most especially on their own :shock: .
The savagery of the attack could leave you in a very bad way.Normal clothing unless sealed correctly will not stop them getting in,they are totally singled minded and just will not stop.you cannot out run them they will follow you for 100s of yards. :shock:
So take Muntys good advice. Leave them until they fly away or get the council to get rid.If you do decide to try on your own let us see the after pics taken in casualty :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

agapanthus

hornet's nest
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 17:46 »
Cheers Henry!!! :shock:  :wink: !

Contadino

• Experienced Member
hornet's nest
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 19:05 »
I'm still in the dark as to the purpose of hornets in Mother Nature's grand plan.  Maybe She just came up with them to scare me, the wife and the dogs.

Kill them.  Kill them all.  Show no mercy.  They're all without clear parentage.  They are vicious psychopaths.  Call your council.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
hornet's nest
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 19:37 »
hornets are one of the worst stinging insects going my cousin wa stung when he was younger on the face and his face swelled so much he ended up in hospital.they really are a nasty piece.
if you dont wish to harm them then leave them they will dissapear once winter has set in.
if you want to get rid then dont do it your self get a expect as they are not for messing with.

Trillium

hornet's nest
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 22:47 »
I can't figure their reason for being either, Aggy. As MKH said, they're single-minded in attacking their attacker - you. And remember that wasps and hornets can sting many times without dying (unlike bees who can sting only once). There's no middle field with them, so do as the others suggest - get the council to get rid of this particular nest (there will be loads more left for you to be attacked by  :lol: ) or use a spray killer - at night. BTW, if they're on the eave of your shed, they'll only try to prevent you from entering the shed as that is their territory.

agapanthus

hornet's nest
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 22:51 »
Quote from: "Contadino"
I'm still in the dark as to the purpose of hornets in Mother Nature's grand plan.  Maybe She just came up with them to scare me, the wife and the dogs.

Kill them.  Kill them all.  Show no mercy.  They're all without clear parentage.  They are vicious psychopaths.  Call your council.

Mmmmm :roll:

muntjac

hornet's nest
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 22:59 »
i can tell ya that they will kill all wild bees in a 10 mile radius just for the pleasure of doing it all they want is the grubs but they murder every bee in the hive .had a friend disturb one on the farm as a kid and she wasnt very happy / we ended up jumping into a car for safety .they have stings longer by half of a wasp and ten times the potency,, and there could be over 700 of them .

wanna shock check this out  :lol:

http://www.insectstings.co.uk/hornets.shtml

WG.

hornet's nest
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 23:12 »
Quote from: "Contadino"
They're all without clear parentage.  They are vicious psychopaths.  Call your council.
Many of whom are also vicious psychopaths without clear parentage.  :wink:

Trillium

hornet's nest
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 23:21 »
Obviously you've had dealings with councils, WG  :lol:

WG.

hornet's nest
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 23:47 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Obviously you've had dealings with councils, WG  :lol:
Indeed. Indeed.  :lol:  :lol:

agapanthus

hornet's nest
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 09:53 »
Ok, ok. I'll wait until until the council can deal with it. Just to say though there are only about 30 of them. The nest is very small and in the first throes of construction...I managed to get in and see it a few times. Thanks for the replies guys.  :D

wildeone

hornet's nest
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 12:16 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Ok, ok. I'll wait until until the council can deal with it. Just to say though there are only about 30 of them. The nest is very small and in the first throes of construction...I managed to get in and see it a few times. Thanks for the replies guys.  :D

30 hornet can sting up to 150 times eek! :shock:

xx
wasps nest

Started by finleyfreyaseth on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 14:12
by TerryB
xx
We have a wasps nest HELP!!

Started by greenfingers on General Gardening

28 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 13:11
by hermon
xx
Ant nest in lawn

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2021, 19:43
by mrs bouquet
xx
small wasp nest.... now what?

Started by SnooziSuzi on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 22:08
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.