Guelder Rose leaf beetle

• 3 Replies

Adam

Guelder Rose leaf beetle
« on: June 10, 2010, 20:52 »
On the edge of my front garden, bordering a patch of woodland, there are several Guelder Rose bushes. It's a kind of Vibernum I believe. This year I have noticed that quite suddenly all the leaves have been reduced to fine lace, and they are absolutely infested with tiny larvae which I have identified as the imaginatively titled Guelder Rose Leaf Beetle. Almost every single leaf on every bush has been reduced to a skeleton.

I've never noticed this phenomenon before, and we've lived here 7 years. I think the bushes were planted just before we moved in. Is this year a particularly good one for these type of beetles? Has anyone else noticed a big increase in them this year?

The leaves are all so decimated that I wonder if the bushes will survive. Can anyone tell me if they think they've any chance, after all leaves are fairly important to a plant!

Trillium

Re: Guelder Rose leaf beetle
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 20:56 »
You'll need to buy an appropriate spray for the plant, asap! to control the beetles as you've no natural predators in place. There are many good soap-based sprays available. Douse the plant well, including stems, joints and ground surface. Let it dry, then give the plant a good feeding with either rose fertilizer, rotted manure, or my favourite, alfalfa pellets which you'd water in. It's probably also a good time to do some pruning to encourage new leafy shoots.
The spray should finish off most of the beetles and the leaves should start forming fairly soon provided there isn't a 2nd attack.

Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 21:06 »
Thanks for the quick reply Trillium. Are there any brand names you can think of for the soap-based sprays? Is there something I could make up myself? I'll get on with it as soon as I can.

I must admit I'd thought about giving them a good prune as they do seem quite leggy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 21:08 by Adam »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 21:44 »
Scotts Bug Clear gun works......and be ready with the spray as soon as the buds break next year, when they will be back  :(

xx
Rose leaf problems

Started by Heather_S on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2006, 13:03
by Gwiz
xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Flee beetle

Started by InWarwickshire on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2021, 10:47
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Red Lily Beetle

Started by Celtic Eagle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2006, 18:23
by hermon

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.