Hot Chilli

• 38 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Hot Chilli
« on: August 11, 2006, 20:48 »
I have just picked my first chilli that is the first one I have ever grown in my life, on the way out of the allotment I met the local expert on chilli growing and showed him my chilli.
He looked at it and said it's green; it’s the red ones that are hot.
I went home and showed the wife my achievement, and continued to make my self a corn beef and chilli sandwich.
I toped and tailed it, cut it down the middle, scoped out the seeds.
Washed my hands.
Remembering the experts words, it's green, not red.
I then cut a sliver of it and gave it a chew, ***%^***.
Wow that was hot, forgetting to drink milk downed a glass of water, hopped round the kitchen and throwing the part made sandwich away.
Will I ever get the hang of this allotmenting.
Reg.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Hot Chilli
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 21:38 »
:lol: Watch out for those ones if/when they do ripen! You can always freeze them green and use one or half of one in a very large pot of chili or a curry so it doesn't appear to be so hot.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

jaycee

• Experienced Member
hot chilli
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:39 »
What variety did you grow Reg?

milkman

Hot Chilli
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 17:45 »
Sounds like you already have Caretaker - Reg!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Oliver

Re: Hot Chilli
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 14:40 »
Quote from: "Caretaker"
I have just picked my first chilli .

She is wary of all chillies! in her book a chilli is a chilli, green or red: and it's always hot, perhaps hotter when its ripe.

Books say it's only the seeds that are hot - no so. It's all hot! (Although some chillies are hotter than others!)

Sweet  peppers, though, ('Capsicums') are another matter. They can be eaten green, but ripen to red, yellor or orange. They are often a different shape and are generally a bit bigger. Although, having said that, Hungarian Hot Way peppers ( :lol:  :lol: sounds like a beauty treatment) are about 5" long, 1.5" in diameter and they are HOT. There is another kind of hungarian pepper 'yellow wax', that is slightly warm. :D So to be on the safe side, its best to be wary!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

wellingtons

Another piece of advice ...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 16:19 »
... is that the smaller the chilli (when fully grown) the more respect it deserves!

I grow small perfectly round chillies that are mild when purple and blow yer heady off when bright orange.

I've also been told that green chillies are simply unripe (although you can obviously eat them) and are milder than their red or orange riper brothers and sisters.  So you might prefer to harvest yours when they're green cos if you let the lil devils ripen they'll be hotter still!

Oliver

Re: Another piece of advice ...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 16:45 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... is that the smaller the chilli (when fully grown) the more respect it deserves!

:D I reckon!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Hot Chilli
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 19:37 »
I have 5 Jalapino (sp?) type plants and some are blisteringly hot and some are hotless (is that a real word?).

It is like playing chilli lotto, you never know what the hell you are going to get, mild or BAM HOLY MOTHER!!! from the same plant...

Gav

Hot Chilli
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 20:56 »
I’ve grown a few types in the past, and one thing I’ve noticed is that the more sun they have, the hotter they are - so these last few weeks may have done the trick on those chillies.

Another thing I’ve noticed (probably common knowledge to most of you :o ) - if your prepared to keep them warm over winter, you get a much better crop the second year - my Tepins are on their second year and must have about 50 chillies on each - not sure what I’m going to do with them all though - they tend to be rather hot. :oops:
Gav

Organic Cragg

Hot Chilli
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 18:48 »
Hi, I have just picked about a dozen chillies from my plant that I have grown on the allotment. The problem was, that they all had brownish/black markings on them. Is this unusual? Are they still edible? How do I prevent this happening again? Can anyone help?

Oliver

Markings on a chilli pepper
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 21:55 »
Quote from: "Organic Cragg"
Hi, I have just picked about a dozen chillies from my plant that I have grown on the allotment.
What colour were they when you picked them (apart from the brownish/black markings) green or red or halfway or what?

wellingtons

Gav ...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:53 »
... I think for the really small or exceptionally hot chillies the best thing you can do with them is dry and turn them into chilli powder.

Keeps you happily spiced up throughout the winter months and you really can use a little or a lot, dependent on your nerves!

Organic Cragg

Markings on chilli pepper
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 12:08 »
What colour were they when you picked them (apart from the brownish/black markings) green or red or halfway or what?

They were green.

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Hot Chilli
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 15:29 »
Good caution, and advice for others. I've just grown my first ones, and I have literally hundreds or green ones, just turning yellow on some plants.

Does anyone know if I can dry them and if so how?

This is one plant the mini-beasts of Hampshire haven't touched at all.  :twisted:
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

BillinPA

Hot Chilli
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 15:37 »
Yes to all of the above. :)   Here is a link to "The PepperGal" site which has a heat index scale that ranks the most common varieties of Hot Peppers.  It also has a catalog for seeds.  http://www.peppergal.com/pdf/2006catalog.pdf

Keep the milk bottle handy when testing, better yet - find a volunteer  :twisted:  I love the guy that sayz, a like really HOT stuff.....here try this it's mild  :evil:
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
clip
Help with chilli ID

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:17
by compostqueen
xx
my chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 04:41
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 39 queries.