How to exercise at home with arthritis.

• 6 Replies

Goosegirl

How to exercise at home with arthritis.
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:46 »
I really need to do some exercises at home because I'm not using my muscles as I should due to the pain and stiffness in my body which is making me rather tottery and unstable on my feet. I want to do it at home because gardening is out of the question at the moment due to the cold and damp weather, so has anyone got any helpful tips I could use? 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Re: How to exercise at home with arthritis.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:59 »
How about sitting on a dining chair with some small ladies hand weights and use them to lift your arms sideways and in front Tec. Also you can buy some small weights attached with Velcro that you fasten round your ankles and use them in a similar fashion. Both lots can be found on ebay. If you are able to hold things use a small plastic bottle with water. Perhaps you could find a way of tying it round your ankles.Or while watching telly a very large glass of wine from table to lips several times, alternating hands of course.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 13:33 »
Last autumn I bought an exercise bike, not one of the expensive types that you're supposed to go fast on, but just one I can I can sit up straight on, and make the full extension leg movements to make the wheel go round, as slow as you like -  I use it whenever I can't make the walk to the plot.
For balance I practise standing on one leg, with the other foot just off the floor, you'd be surprised how many foot and leg muscles you use just keeping upright. I stand in a corner, so I can put hands out to stop me wobbling over if necessary  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 14:19 »
Have a look at 'Arthritis Care'.  They will be able to give you lots of tips and ways to keep mobile.
Also, when you get up, just gently roll each limb and neck, hands, feet, ankles etc, in circular movements, then go the other way, it will get the blood to start to circulate and thus reduce inflammation.   Don't be silly though, like me, just do as much as you can.  I am quite sure you wouldn't be silly    ;) ;)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 17:19 »
You need to do some balance exercises (ex physio speaking) standing by stable surface using a hand for balance as necessary try tapping toe to ground in front to side and behind. Attempt to stand in one leg using hand for balance if you think you are going to topple. I’ve started doing them with my eyes closed after using my eye drops. I am now much better at balancing when changing shoes than before. Loss of balance in us older folk leads to falls and fractures.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 20:31 »
What about yoga from a video or YouTube. My teacher is on there
https://youtu.be/K1_WSEwIvpg
Or yogawith adele1

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 23:09 by mumofstig »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 23:10 »
Definitely recommend a bit of yoga, I used to mock it when I was young but when I injured my knee badly playing football it was the low impact way to get mobility and balance back before I could engage in more physically impactive exercises.

xx
Don't try this at home !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2019, 18:26
by mrs bouquet
xx
It's come home yay

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2022, 08:02
by snowdrops
xx
CCTV at home...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2020, 08:58
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Selling our home.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 12:35
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 46 queries.