Giving up my allotment.

• 10 Replies

miggs

Giving up my allotment.
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:14 »
As the above title says I am sadly giving up my allotment due to an ongoing dispute with my local council, they are useless. I have been slowly going away from veg anyway and tending to grow more flowers. I can do that at home. I have a large selection of veg seeds that I will no longer get around to using now. Most of them are in date some are not. If someone can use them I will post them free of charge to you. First to message me can have them I will get them to you sometime this week. I will continue to lurk on here as its been a great help over the time I have had the plot, but for me that's it. Thanks again for all the help I have had. Bye.

PS: just had a count of the seeds, I counted 45 packets, all ready to go to a good home.

PPS: The seeds have been claimed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:34 by miggs »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Giving up my allotment.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:34 »

I'm very sorry to hear you giving up miggs, we gave up ours last year due to far too many other commitments.  We left the shed, fruit cage, wheelbarrow and waterbutt.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:41 »
Shame about the plot trouble, but good luck with your home gardening, and still hope to 'see you' around on the forum  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:05 »
sorry a dispute means giving your plot up.  but please don't leave us.  some of us have given the plots up, and like you now garden from home.
There is still loads to natter about here, jokes to tell, and your weather etc.  so stay with us, and let us enjoy your company.   regards, and speak soon  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:48 »
Oh that’s a shame, from what you say it sounds the council are insisting you grow to eat rather than to enjoy, which is such a silly concept. I once saw a program about French Allotment’s that was all about enjoying the allotment no matter how much/ little you grew. They were spaces dedicated to enjoying the outside space
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 13:06 »
A sad day miggs. But as others have said enjoy home gardening and please stay and chat. Good luck!

miggs

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 14:32 »
Thanks for all the messages, I will be staying on here as it's a fountain of info. There are people on here who know far more info about plants that's healthy, I mean that as a compliment by the way. No, it will take than my stupid council to make me stop growing things, I will concentrate on flower and herbs now.
Thanks again.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 14:45 »
That's sad to hear, but growing at home means you can do what you want and still get pleasure out if it. Many veg can be grown in pots like dwarf French beans and beetroot, but flowers are a must. Good luck.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 17:09 »
We're with you Miggs!

Our allotment is now being used by a lovely younger couple who took it over a while back, while we just took a small bed about twenty s.y. for a few beans and courgettes. They've started what will hopefully be a lifetime's gardening, and now we can do the same as you, just working at home, perhaps giving up on 200 leeks and seventy tomatoes, but still getting the buzz!

We re-started on our allotment growing during the recession back in 2010, mainly to get me out of the house and not wait for politicians to make an even worse hash than they were doing back then, and it was a lifeline for us. Now I'm retired, we have time to reflect, and also make 'The Turrets' the place we always dreamed of!

Well done you - keep away from officialdom, and you can't go wrong!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 12:22 »
Sorry to hear about your decision  :( but glad to hear you'll be sticking around  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 16:48 »
Sorry to hear about your decision  :( but glad to hear you'll be sticking around  :D

It seems a bit harsh, and we'll miss the banter etc, but another similar aged plotter/good chum is doing the same, and we saw him today in the village, and had a good chat.

It's really the same reason - there's just two of us, the birds have flown, he has a garden about the same size as ours, and all he did was give everything away, which, while a good Christian attitude, doesn't make much sense if the garden at home is suffering - as ours is.

Only five more weeks, and the new guys can take the reins!

xx
Emoji on here, giving up using them

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 13:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
On giving up 'The Patch'...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 23:08
by sunshineband
xx
What is the plot giving you for Christmas?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 23:45
by snowdrops
xx
Giving Nature a Helping Hand

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2019, 17:24
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.