Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse
« on: April 12, 2018, 13:56 »
My tomato plants in the bench-top propagator will need to be re-potted into large pots and brave the unheated greenhouse, certainly within the next two weeks. Anyone else in this position?

Plot 1 Problems

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 14:20 »
I potted mine on a few days ago and popped them out into the polytunnel. They're doing ok, a little slow growing but healthy. Night time temps are above 5c in there at the moment, not ideal, but they're not in any danger.

I Love Spuds

• AKA Mike.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 16:04 »
I have tomato (and chilli) plants coming out of my ears at home, waiting for temps to improve in the greenhouse. The kitchen & spare bedroom are full, much to my partner's disgust! I think they'll be going out next week as I'm at 7 to 8 deg's at night now, and it's set to warm up a little next week (if you trust the forecast!!!)
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes something else out of my head!" Homer J Simpson

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 16:06 »
I'm still bringing mine indoors if it is below 10C, but the weather is set to improve a little from next week, so as long as you keep some fleece handy, for any cold nights, they should make it through..
Lesley x
I'm not good, I'm not bad - I'm just me, and sometimes I have to apologise for that ;)

victoria park

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 16:56 »
Light is more important than a few degrees in my situation. Apart from the two cold snaps, the tomatoes have been in my cold greenhouse since 16 March. It's got down to about 2 degrees for a couple of hours a couple of nights, but they've been fine in propagators, and now under fleece, since they were potted on 2 weeks ago.
Lack of light is more liable to upset their development than my cold greenhouse. I also have three shop bought plants actually planted up in the greenhouse border, showing flower buds. They'll be fine, they always are.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56 »
My toms, peppers an aubergines have been in my polytunnel for a few weeks. I have brought them indoors fr a couple of nights when it got really cold, otherwise they are in a mini greenhouse inside the tunnel, with a candle in the bottom and fleece or bubble wrap at night.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 20:41 »
There's no cold weather forecast in the next two weeks, by which time we'll be into May so I potted them up and they are now in final position in unheated greenhouse

Stewarty

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 00:33 »
I also took the plunge today  -  I transported 7 x 24-cell trays from my south-facing conservatory at home, to my 2 rickety greenhouses at the allotment, and spent the lovely warm afternoon planting into pre-prepared growbags. 6 growbags, and some large pots, in each greenhouse. So there are 6 growbags with a range of tomato varieties, and the other six are divided between various sorts of aubergines, peppers, and cucumbers.

It was such a dramatic change from the endless cold, grey days before. When I arrived at the allotments around 2.30 pm the temperature inside the greenhouses was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I've developed such a bad feeling about this year that I'm sure some disaster will befall the poor tender seedlings, but they just couldn't stay in those cramped seed trays a day longer...   In any case, I shall want to use the conservatory shelves to start off french and runner beans, courgettes and squashes, and sweetcorn, in a few days time...
After all, the nights start drawing-in in less than 10 weeks time...

xx
When should I plant my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by Headgardener22 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 19:35
by Totty
xx
Unheated greenhouse.

Started by JaK on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 15:05
by JaK
xx
Can I sow in an unheated greenhouse ?

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 19:45
by hubballi
xx
toms in unheated greenhouse

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 11:29
by jrko

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 30 queries.