Time for the seedling dance again?

• 16 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Time for the seedling dance again?
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:22 »
You know the one - you bring your seed trays in, you put them back out, you shunt them round the greenhouse and you whirl about  :lol:

Despite the late start and the continuing variable weather, I feel I am off now.  There are brassica and onions plants really getting going, modules of beetroots, herbs and leafy greens all sprouting, peppers and tomatoes indoors and a few flowers on the go.  Even my aricula seeds are sprouting despite dire warnings on the seed packet that it could take weeks - whoop whoop  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Time for the seedling dance again?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:17 »
I've been doing it for a week or so  :lol:
Most things seem to be growing ok with the big exception of early brassicas!  My 2 earlier sowings (different packets) of Hispi failed and I've just sown a different variety, so no early cabbage for me *sulk*

My onions seem to be thinking about actually growing now, as well  :D - I think the extra light makes a lot of difference, even if it's not always warm.

So we're off - Good luck with your growing this year everyone  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23 »
I'm pleased to see some one happy and i admit it did look a lot like spring because we actually had some sunshine in the last two days now its raining again yes its raining again

it feels like its been a long winter never seeing spring and yep all the things are coming up in the greenhouse onion brassicas beans beetroot and lots more and it really does look like spring in the greenhouse

but I'm afraid all those plans of going down the allotment with the tractor to start cultivation that's put on hold now but am i down YES am i mad YES  :mad: because i wanted to plant  my potatoes this week and just as the ground was drying out nicely

so its not all singing and dancing new shoot more like singing in the rain and back to the greenhouse monday  :closedeyes:

al78

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56 »
I only have leeks and brassicas in seed trays at the moment so they went out into a greenhouse cloche in my back garden after they had germinated, and they will stay there until they are ready to be transplanted. They will cope easily with overnight frosts. I'm hoping to plant potatoes today but it is raining (again), so I am going to have to take a chance and clear the soil when it it wet. This is turning out to be an awful start to the growing season, I might as well move to the Shetland islands if every other year is going to be a struggle against the elements.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05 »
Yep this bit of sun has made my few showings shoot up, so with hubby’s help & because the conservatory was too warm we’ve picked up the mini uncovered greenhouse & put it outside for the day, they’re out now being rained on.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 16:36 »
No need for the dance here - I managed to cook the seedlings when a strange orange orb appeared in the sky last week having moved the propagator into the conservatory  ::)  Thinking I might leave it a week or two until the better weather and then sow directly into the GH border.  :unsure:

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 18:39 »
no I don't believe  you actually seen the sun Lardman and that was that hot are you sure you never left the central heating on full

your optimistic a week or two to get better weather have you ever thought about taking up being a weather man and hear I am thinking I'm going to plant my seed potatoes in a couple of days

you've really cheered me up Lardman :D :D :D

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 20:16 »
On the  I O W, one time its sunny then rain then fog  then windy, so my polytunnel is jam packed with trays
and thats where they will stay just too many,,,
Colin

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 13:08 »
On the  I O W, one time its sunny then rain then fog  then windy, so my polytunnel is jam packed with trays
and thats where they will stay just too many,,,

Same story here with the weather and my greenhouse is packed as well, hence the whirling around ::)  :lol:

The weather will be what it is.  Things are growing and all the fruit trees in the garden are starting their bud burst.  It is all part of gardening life - you have to roll with the punches, adapt and get on with it. 

If I have no young plants ready to go, then I really am behind.  Right now, I have the first wave of stuff up and some of it hardening up outside, so the game is still on.  Ever the optimist, I even started some sweetcorn chitting yesterday.  I have pressed compost pots for them to go into, so they can get a good root system growing through that before I unleash them on the plot  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:03 »
I am reaching critical mass with seedlings now  :ohmy:  I think the greenhouse must have shrunk in all the rain  :unsure:

A major sort out is planned for later on as I need room for beans  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:09 »
Mines not, just not got started yet 😱😱
This was it on Tuesday after I’d finally washed it on Sunday, then got the staging washed & tightened & the slats finally in place( I only bought the staging last year)
01739EAE-FD59-4D17-9FCE-1E733A97E2C3.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 08:17 »
Oooh very neat  8)

I bet its full pretty soon  ;)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 09:07 »
Be careful what you choose to put outside, forecasts are for cooler temps to return after the weekend. Not very low, but could still be a shock for less hardy plants.

@just saying.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 10:31 »
Just bought some sweetcorn seedlings, and will transplant them pretty soon, as the tap root is so strong, it gets into the polystyrene!

Loads of tom plants to keep an eye on too...

We're growing Cobaea for the first time this year, as they can sprawl all over the trellis that other plants cannot reach... (a chum had a wonderful display last year)!

madcat

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 10:34 »
The front porch is filling up (you didnt want to use the front door did you?  ::)), the line of seedlings needing pricking out is long but where do I put them if i do...  particularly with the weather getting colder next week ...  :(

I know it is only a month when everything crashes together but what a month!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Time to change the time

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 17:47
by Growster...
xx
Time

Started by bazial on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2020, 10:06
by Wellington
xx
Its that time again

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 07:01
by snowdrops
clip
Seriously has the time come?

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 08, 2019, 17:27
by Growster...

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 37 queries.