Weeds on allotment

• 30 Replies

victoria park

Re: Weeds on allotment
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 21:52 »
On our site of 200 + plots, we've sort of found out roughly 4 from 5 avoid weedkillers, 3 out of 5 avoid pesticides. Don't really know the fertiliser split, although we sell far more of the organic BFB etc than Growmore.
New plot holders tend to be more likely to use weedkiller and/or an initial rotovator to get over the hump of the first dig, including paths, which is sometimes quite daunting. Expedience is the initial driver given the state of some of the plots. As people get into it and get their plots under control, other methods come to the fore, as knowledge increases and people clock all manner of ways of dealing with the weeds, and of course they make invaluable compost when rotted down . There definitely seems a desire to gravitate away from weedkilling, rather than toward it. Cardboard seems very popular, carpets almost a total no no these days, but weed suppressing woven groundcover seems the favourite. Woodchip mulch is the preferred method for the paths for all sorts of reasons including worms, but that depends on when free bulk deliveries arrive. I think someone on here was going to try using prolific green manures on their paths to smother weeds. That sounded an interesting idea.

Notty1975

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 06:55 »
I used google search yellow pages and local papers looking for tree surgeons they usually happy to drop them off for you

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 07:17 »
Like Notty1975 we get our woodchip from our local tree surgeon.  Provided we bring our own bags we can take as much as we want for free.  They would be drowning in the stuff otherwise.

After initial clearing of the paths we put down weed suppressant fibre then covered with woodchip.  We just top it up every year.

Notty1975

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 07:49 »
I tend to not use weed membrane as it’s easier for the worms to come up and do their work I also found that the c:n ratio is such that anything green that try’s to appear no matter strong the plant/weed that the said plant/weeds nitrogen is instantly taken in the decomposition process and kills it before it can get a hold not had any weeds on my paths in the last few years and when we took the plots on it was 6ft high in nettles and brambles

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 09:14 »
lets not get all huffy about these replies its only our advise at the end of the day what you  do or is up to you its not in tablets of stone  yep you do your own thing all we do at the end of the day is ask for an opinion

see I take the view I ask our members for there advise because I have found very good replies  from what I call real professional gardeners with the knowledge they share with all of us because ones never to old the learn

for me i'm  not anti chemical or organic so i can take any criticism anyone throws at me for my views on  these topics water of a ducks back for me

but having said all that youv'e  got a good bunch of fellow members on this site who are dedicated gardeners   and really down to arth good people to boot  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:23 »
Like Notty1975 we get our woodchip from our local tree surgeon.  Provided we bring our own bags we can take as much as we want for free.  They would be drowning in the stuff otherwise.

After initial clearing of the paths we put down weed suppressant fibre then covered with woodchip.  We just top it up every year.

This is what we do, and after seven years the paths are so deep they are as high as the raised bed . edges  :lol: :lol: I am now digging it all out and starting again, a path at a time. Down under the top layer of chippings is good deep dark brown mulch, filled with worms (which got there somehow! and is just the job for adding to the soil on our adjoining (two year old) plot where it is very short on organic matter.

I know this is not a reply re the original question about weedkiller, but the subject seems to have diversified somewhat and I wanted to share our experience because it surprised me what volume of compost is under there!

And we get out woodchippings from the council tree-team, so it might be worth contacting yours if you'd like  a delivery
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Notty1975

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34 »
I had a really bad time with mine when we took it on apart from being ridiculously overgrown the “paths” that were there they used carpet and roofing felt as the path what a nightmare all the weeds and stuff had just grown through not to mention all the pains of glass and metal they buried

noshed

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:54 »
Try the local tree surgeons for woodchip. We have a guy who will dump big loads to our site.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

victoria park

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 11:06 »
It's sort of related to the weed question on paths. In my mind paths are sometimes a neglected part of the allotment eco system. Ever since we managed to ensnare some tame arborists, they deliver regular quantities of free woodchip. It's a fantastic resource, and as others have said a deep luxurious woodchip path soon develops, full of worms working away, with only the odd bit of grass seeding itself in amongst the chips.

Every two years, once 2 or 3 inches of the mulch has been broken down, I move some of my paths to make way for my latest vision  :)leaving a lovely fertile composted weed free soil that just needs a light digging. In effect I treat my paths as fallow future beds full of everything required, bar a bit of chicken manure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:19 »
Im not a fan of weed killer anyway, but what about putting cardboard down on your paths? It’ll suppress the weeds and will kill them over time as you are blocking the light.. you sometimes need to put another layer later in the season but it’s really worked well for me
We are not allowed to use cardboard unless it is covered with mulch, and no free woodchip deliveries on our site either :(
I have grass paths and an electric strimmer - at least after raking the cuttings up they can go in the compost bins :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:19 by mumofstig »

chillimummy

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 14:28 »

Anne
Wondered where you get your wood chip as we are near you and needing to cover my newly placed paths?
Have looked into buying some but reluctant to as doesn't fit in with my allotment ethos of minimal spending  :D 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Notty1975

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 16:38 »
Whereabouts are you could possibly give some numbers as a have plenty at the moment and my chippings guy is always looking for new places to drop them as it saves them money
image.jpg
image.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 17:03 »
Thanks for the advise. I didn't realise how anti some people can be.  I'll think twice before posting any more comments.

pottylotty, no need to get the huff. You asked for advice and you got it. As people have said in the replies, some people are ok with weed killer and others not. You just do best for you. I don't use it myself, not that I am against it, I just prefer using a hoe.

Yes, it is each to their own. But the question was about weed killers not about weedkiller versus mechanical weed control.
I'm a round up user when necessary. If you need or want to use chemical control this is the best in my opinion!

AnneB

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 17:58 »

Anne
Wondered where you get your wood chip as we are near you and needing to cover my newly placed paths?
Have looked into buying some but reluctant to as doesn't fit in with my allotment ethos of minimal spending  :D

Hi Chilli.  We get ours from GP Gill tree surgeons.  They are on Tong Park Industrial Estate, half way up Hollins Hill on the left as you travel from Baildon to Guiseley.  They have a website.   Worth ringing them before you go to make sure someone is in the office.  They give you a key to the gate at the back of the site.  There is usually a vast mound of the stuff.  Take your own bags and it is free.

rowlandwells

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 18:01 »
you must have a good council to give you free chippings for your allotments we don't get anything for free fro ours because there broke  :(

xx
weeds in my allotment

Started by barry newton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 20:51
by Tenhens
xx
allotment and weeds

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 16:25
by Mr Bean
xx
Weeds on Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 18:34
by al78
question
Best way to rid weeds on the allotment

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 16:54
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 52 queries.