Weeds on allotment

• 30 Replies

pottylotty1

Weeds on allotment
« on: April 07, 2018, 17:47 »
Hi all

Just back from our first visit to the allotment. We have eight raised beds on our plot. What weedkiller would you suggest we use on our paths in between the beds. We don't want   harmful chemicals seeping  into to our raised beds for obvious reasons. I look forward to hearing all your comments.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Re: Weeds on allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 18:08 »
Im not a fan of weed killer anyway, but what about putting cardboard down on your paths? It’ll suppress the weeds and will kill them over time as you are blocking the light.. you sometimes need to put another layer later in the season but it’s really worked well for me

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 18:14 »
I'm with Potterer; don't use weedkiller at all, just prevent them from coming up in the first place.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 18:42 »
Glyphosate is the answer to your question - whether you should use any weedkillers at all is completely up to you and a different topic  :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 18:42 by mumofstig »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 00:48 »
The best weed killer is a sharpened hoe and righteous anger  :D Just think of the calories burned...

Failing that, as above say, either supress with cardboard or other covering or bite the bullet and glysophate the evil greenies.

I like to hoe them and rake the larger weeds off to shove into my compost heap. Make the invaders contribute to next year's harvest.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:07 »
I use cardboard & with chippings on top.
Beds April.jpg

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11 »
get some roundup no fuss no weeds after a couple of weeks get planting I've found it the best way never had any probs from using it  as for chemicals what do you think the commercial growers use on there veg crops water  :D :D :D

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:51 »
get some roundup no fuss no weeds after a couple of weeks get planting I've found it the best way never had any probs from using it  as for chemicals what do you think the commercial growers use on there veg crops water  :D :D :D

That is why some people like to grow their own, so they can eat veg which doesn't have all sorts of artificial chemicals sprayed on it, but each to their own.

pottylotty1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31 »
Thanks for the advise. I didn't realise how anti some people can be.  I'll think twice before posting any more comments.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:57 »
Thanks for the advise. I didn't realise how anti some people can be.  I'll think twice before posting any more comments.

Weedkiller is always an emotive subject, but it’s your allotment so you can do as you like, the other thing about questions on here or elsewhere ask 5 gardeners a question & get 10 answers 😄. In a few years you’ll have the experience to know what you want & what works for you.
I try very hard not to use any chemicals but have on occasions had to resort to glyphosate. This year I’m going more over to no dig as it fits in with my principles more as I get older (and not because of not digging) . Again I know this brings about a strong reaction from some people, but they can do their gardening how they like & I can do the same. Don’t lose heart with us on here, we are a friendly bunch really😊😉
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 12:10 »
Hi pottylotty as snowdrops says chemicals are an emotive subject so don’t be put off posting in general. Personally I try to use non chemical methods wherever possible but sometimes glycophosphate is the simplest solution to rapidly clearing a heavily weed infested area.

Cheers HH

Keep digging

miggs

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 14:27 »

pottylotty, no need to get the huff. You asked for advice and you got it. As people have said in the replies, some people are ok with weed killer and others not. You just do best for you. I don't use it myself, not that I am against it, I just prefer using a hoe.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 14:40 »
Yes, please carry on posting  :)
In the gardening world some people get quite entrenched opinions and are sure that their way is the only way.
Don't use non-organic fertilisers, don't use slug pellets, don't use weedkiller, don't use f1 seeds, don't spray pests and the latest one is don't dig at all. ever! They all raise considerable debate when posted about  :D

As has been said already, what you do, and how you grow things, is entirely up to you.
The others are only voicing their own choices and we certainly don't agree over everything - other than that we all love to garden :lol:

Notty1975

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 20:27 »
I use wood chips it works extremely well stops the weeds and the mud then after a while dig them up and you’ll have amazing compost/mulch
5B0A7A8E-3001-4AE9-9BC9-6EA590F67830.jpeg

al78

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 21:22 »
I use wood chips it works extremely well stops the weeds and the mud then after a while dig them up and you’ll have amazing compost/mulch

That is what I'm planning to do, make proper paths with woodchip. I've been informed they help to reduce slug problems. It is just a case of where to source woodchip.

question
Best way to rid weeds on the allotment

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 16:54
by Sparkyrog
xx
weeds in my allotment

Started by barry newton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 20:51
by Tenhens
xx
allotment and weeds

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 16:25
by Mr Bean
xx
Weeds on Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 18:34
by al78

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 55 queries.