Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?

• 23 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 14:44 »
Over 3 weeks since my original post, and still only about half a dozen unripe fruits between the two plants, although there are still plenty of flowers (and of course, foliage!  ::))

I'll definitely be looking out for a different cooking/sauce tomato next year, because even if the Roma VF deliver, it's going to be perilously late for them to ripen (conditions haven't been that bad this year.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 16:03 »
I think most of the plum tomatoes are notoriously late to ripen, that's why I grow Kibits (a small bush) as it reliably ripens its first flush early in August and then you usually get more fruit later.

The smaller fruited tomatoes start much earlier, as you know from Red Alert  ;)

Chrysalis

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 20:38 »
Mine are still going really well!  Bob Flowerdew said to pick toms when they're orange and ripen them indoors, to encourage more fruits to set.  Worked for me this year. San Marzano doing excellently.
Picking a couple of pounds most days from 7 plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43 »
2 months since I started this thread, and incredibly not that much has changed - probably had 3 ripe fruits from the two plants, which are still healthy, green, and flowering, but the dozen or so other fruits the plants have reluctantly produced remain obstinately green, as they have been for at least a month.

Almost tempted to try to grow them as cordons next year to see if they fare any better, but will probably jump ship and change to one of the other plum varieties suggested in this thread and elsewhere on the forums.

grinling

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 16:01 »
I only grow as cordon and got quit a few from mine, some still green.

Chrysalis

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 17:23 »
Sorry Jay,

Mine are still going strong. Picking a few pounds most days.  Best crop in years.... :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32 »
... but will probably jump ship and change to one of the other plum varieties suggested in this thread and elsewhere on the forums.

If it hadn't have been for the blight getting into the top GH I'd have managed a reasonable crop of rio grande this year. Good sized, 1 per sandwich and very meaty - flavour was ok but nothing to get overly excited about. 

ML has requested them again next year so I'll be trying an earlier sowing to avoid blight and perhaps 2' spacing or even a double cordon.  They're worth a try if you really want a plum tom.

jezza

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 21:12 »
hi have had 60 roma tomatoes off 2 plants grown in green house as bushes jezza

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 12:50 »
The two plants have finally succumbed to the cold after what was undoubtedly a very long growing season!  ::)

I had noticed that of the 20-ish fruits I had, all but one were from just one plant - weird, especially as they were growing next to each other, treated exactly the same, and even seemed to flower the same.

Most of the fruits were ripened indoors, and a few rotted instead of ripening.  :nowink:

Don't like not being able to work out what went wrong, but a single 8X6 GH is not big enough to experiment in, so I'll just file it as 'unexplained' and try something different next year.

Thanks for all your comments.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 37 queries.