mixed feelings........need encouragement!

• 24 Replies

mrsparsnip

« on: July 17, 2006, 08:12 »
I could do with a bit of encouragement!  I got my plot a few weeks ago, it's a big double plot that has been left go for a few years.  there is a lot of maintenance to do around my plot i.e the paths etc that 'the rules' say I have to clear first before even starting on my own fenced area.  there's a large area that is uneven  where I am to park my car, and that is causing the most headaches.

I go down most days and sometimes i get very overwhelmed (sp) by the size of the site and other times I am so excited with what's to come it's silly!  did anyone else have mixed feelings like this when you first started?

i've read a few books and the general advice seems to be to tackle small sections at a time so you feel you get somewhere each time you work on something.

maybe it's just me and I'm a big wuss!?  it just seems like i've doen loads of work so far and still not been able to get any of my cultivationg area sorted!
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

Fafafifi

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:49 »
I suspect everyone feels like this when they first get a weedy plot - I certainly did!  The way I sorted my plot out was initially to get it all ploughed (as advised by the old boys on the neighbouring plots and my husband who didn't want to lift a finger to do any digging or weeding!) and then I purchased rolls of damp proof membrane and covered about two thirds of the plot with it.  I then started digging over and taking out the weed roots slowly but surely and planted some stuff.  This was in March and I have been slowly rolling back the rest of the membrane and there is now about a quarter of the plot covered with it.  By covering it I didn't have to worry about it becoming overgrown with weeds again.

But I still have sleepless nights when I haven't been able to get to the plot for a few days and I know the weeds will have been growing!  Its slowly getting there now though!

With regards to your allotment rules, how rigidly do other people stick to them?  I know at our allotment there are a couple of so called car park areas but the only people that use them are those whose plots are next to them.  I just park on the track next to my plot, as does everyone else - and if we need to get passed each other we just ask, no problems and everyone is happy to stop what they are doing and move their car.  

Anyway, enough waffling on!   Don't give up, you WILL get there in the end and when you do and start harvesting veg etc you will feel extremely proud of yourself (well I do anyway!).  Happy digging!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01 »
I know exactly where you are coming from - the 'what have I done??' feeling.
Clearing the paths first is actually quite a good idea - it gives you some definition and a 'base' to work from.
Try and avoid setting yourself grand targets like clearing it all in a month - you probably won't do it and will feel defeated.
If you've a mass of foliage on the plot, building compost heaps should be a priority.
Whatever else, don't turn your allotment into a hard job, the exercise may be hard - but it is good for you :) If you do get depressed, go to a gym and watch them running around in their wheels (or is that gerbils?) for a little while. When you stop laughing you will feel refreshed to get your fork out.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

milkman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:41 »
Don't be downhearted - in temperatures such as what we are currently experiencing its going to be extremely difficult to rustle up any enthusiasm for the hard work that faces you.  I wouldn't attempt any digging until cooler weather comes along.  Maybe hack through a space big enough to site your deck chair and cool box, keep chipping away at the special path, then sit back and watch the wildlife  :)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mrsparsnip

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:00 »
wow, thank you all!  so good to know it's not just me.

john, I have built a compost bin, a big double one!  that was the first thing I did.  there are lots of nettles etc so all good for composting.

the rules are quite strict I think.  everyone else has kept their paths clear and well looked after.  and the site manager keeps asking me how i'm doing with the clearing, he has told me that it's the people who don't look after the paths that get kicked off!  I guess he just wants to make sure I am up to the job.

i have got a space too wher I can sit, nice and shaddy and i also inherited a shed so I am very pleased with that!

don't get me wrong, I am very excited about all the highs and even the lows that are to come, there is just lots to do before we get tot that point!

thank you for all the support. :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:14 »
So they've had this plot vacant for a couple of years and now he is hassling you!!!!  Most site reps do worry about the newbie who arrives, makes a start and then fades away. Having said that, he needs to appreciate things take time and you have other committments on your time.
What are your paths made of?

mrsparsnip

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 13:42 »
thanks john, the paths that link between the plots are grass, and there is also this huge section at the end of my fenced plot that belongs to me (and I can extend my fence if I want to), which was all 5ft high nettles.  I have been strimming in sections and mowing the paths.  I bought an old push along mower which does a great job.

the other plot holders have all been there for years and have the same large area at the end of their fenced plots too, theirs all nice short grass and obviously haven't been left go grow nettles!

i'm looking forward to having time to get inside the fence and strimming and laying down the plastic sheets as I haev already worked out my raised bed plan and all my crops rotation.  just frustrating to have to wait.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 13:56 »
You could use the nettle area as a compost mine - strim or scythe down (before they seed) and pile into the compost bin. This will kill the nettles and benefit you.
Then rotovate and plant a large comfrey bed - you'll have more compost / fertiliser than the rest of the site put together!

mrsparsnip

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 15:41 »
please excuse my ignorance, but what is a comfrey bed?  i saw on your plans (had a look when doing research), that you had one but didn't get round to seeing what one was.

it's funny (in a nice way) how there are already so many allotment pollitics.  the rules, the people that have *their* way of doing things, all the nice people that offer free plants and support and all the people that pop their heads over tell you what you're doing wrong!  i am taking all the advice i can get so it's all good really.  if you ask ten people on the allotment site where is the best place to put my fruit cage, I get ten different answers!

sorry, I do ramble on........... :)

mrsparsnip

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 15:52 »
I have put up a few pictures on the 'my personal gallery' thingy so you can see whaty I have to work with!  oh, and there is a proud one of my compost bins!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 16:32 »
You've certainly got your work cut out - but if the weeds are anything to go by, the soil is fertile.
Comfrey is a herb that makes wonderful tomato feed, potato feed etc. There's an article on it wot I wrote :)
Yes, take three gardeners and get at least four opinions on any subject - except pigeons.. we hate pigeons... evil demon brassica eating pigeons.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 17:35 »
Quote from: "john"
except pigeons.. we hate pigeons... evil demon brassica eating pigeons.

You'll never live it down on the internet either. If I got my hands on a pigeon it wouldn't be long for this world I can tell you.

They spread TB as well btw. I can't think of ANY redeeming qualities.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

mrsparsnip

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 20:11 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Quote from: "john"
except pigeons.. we hate pigeons... evil demon brassica eating pigeons.

I can't think of ANY redeeming qualities.

they do look kinda funny. surely a laugh at their expense is wirth something on a rainy day?  no?  I'll get my coat!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 22:18 »
Yeah, OK - I can't strangle a pigeon..
But I did give it a good telling off.

And Val (also known as 'She, who must be obeyed') is a great snail stomper.

shaun

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 22:48 »
my jack russel (tess) has caught a few but this time of year there are loads of them ,bring on september when the shooting season starts or is it october
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
Forboding feelings

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 14:37
by billathome65
xx
Encouragement needed...quick

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 03, 2006, 20:19
by John
xx
Got me tattys mixed up...

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 11:58
by HugglescoteGrower
xx
Mixed Manures

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 13:02
by cloudcooking

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.