Foxes

• 7 Replies

Chris C

Foxes
« on: June 23, 2010, 23:14 »
Hi All
Im having a problem with a fox on my plot...there are several that roam happily around the whole site at all times of the day and although there nice to watch ive got one thats begining to annoy me.
I first noticed a problem with my Garlic patch, within a day or so most of the garlic stalks started to lay down and i assumed it was because they were ready for lifting but the few that stayed up i continued to water ect....after lifting a couple it was obvious they wernt ready and something else was to blame.....anyway after a week the whole lot were laid flat to the ground and i spotted a fox laid on them one early evening when i got down there.
I ended up takeing the lot out as there were pretty much destroyed... problem is i went down the plot to water tonight and founf half a dozen of my onions scratched up and more had the tall green tops either snapped or bent.... im assuming its the damn fox again so my question is ....does anyone know if theres something i can spread on the soil that fox wont like but wont bother the veg ??? or am i going to have to mstart building fences ???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:09 by Ice »

kel28

Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 22:44 »
Hi we have a fox on our site that is now not bothered at all if people are around or not and actually ran to my 4yr old daughter tryng to get her sandwich little monkey ! I have heard about putting wee around the plot I swear its actually fox wee that puts them off. But look in your local garden centre and ask as I have seen something in mine aimed at foxes it was on the bug spray and tomato feeded aisle.
kem

pigeonpie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 22:48 »
I get my hubbie to pee round the garden as I've heard that it puts foxes off.  I must say, since he's been doing it we haven't seen any sign of the fox that used to come and bark in the garden most nights.  Perhaps they're too busy laughing at the sight of him weeing himself around the garden!!!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 22:56 »
I heard somewhere that they dont like the smell of manure :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Cazzy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 23:43 »
I have a foxes den behind my greenhouse but other than paw prints across the beds I have no problem with them.

The neighbours cat however, thats a different story, it rolls on top of everything, I don't know how to stop it.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 23:44 »
Buy a big dog and teach it to chase foxes and cats.  Then you just need to worry about a big dog laying on your garden!!!

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 23:50 »
LOL, I've been promised I can buy a big dog just as soon as our 17yr old cat leaves us.  She looks like she will outlast me though.

pigeonpie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 00:00 »
I'd remind your cat of it's contractual obligations.  I'm sure there must be something in the small print saying that it is responsible for ensuring other cats stay out of your garden.  Could you not buy it a zimmer frame and ear trumpet so that it can stake out your garden for signs of this intruder? 
Either that or you could borrow someone else's big dog.  My aunt loves to dog sit for me whilst I'm at work as my dog deals with her cat problem.

xx
Foxes...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 08:35
by poultrygeist
xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 19:35
by m1ckz
xx
Foxes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 08:58
by viettaclark
xx
Foxes

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 38 queries.