Foxes

• 9 Replies

viettaclark

Foxes
« on: August 22, 2017, 13:44 »
As well as contending with pigeons, slugs/snails and cabbage whites I now have a fox/foxes that come to scope out the chickens then in frustration (and possibly hunger) decide to bounce on my debris netting, breaking the poles and squishing my leeks/cabbage/psb/sprouts. There is so much damage I shall be redoing the raised beds asap with 3x2 timber supports for the netting. It happened last year but there was only a little damage.....this year they seem to be having a party on the flattened netting and I'm sure some cabbages have gone.
Do foxes eat greens?

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 13:49 »
I reckon they were to blame for the devastation to my carrots which included eating some of them. I don't think its the adults but the juveniles that will try anything.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 16:04 »
Round here it's the cubs that do the damage - this year they've only dug a few holes and torn some weed control fabric, but in the past they've dug up the same shallot plant about 8 times (once burying a gardening glove underneath it), and jumped all over and ripped an enviromesh cage.

The adults don't do daft things like digging up chicken poo because they were cubs once and learned what it tastes like!  :ohmy:

Unfortunately though, there does seem to be a new brood of cubs each year...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 16:08 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arh

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 16:31 »
They are practicing for later, shoot them now while they don't know what a shotgun looks like. when they are a bit older, they'll scatter at the sight of someone carrying a walking stick, :lol:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 16:32 by arh »

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 20:13 »
One afternoon on the lotty I watched a scabby old dog fox scratching himself on my neighbours netting supports. He had a right old itch to tend to but in a matter of seconds the supports were down and everything looked absolutely trashed. I'd never have believed the mess was just the result of trying to get rid of an itch.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 20:42 »
They are practicing for later, shoot them now while they don't know what a shotgun looks like. when they are a bit older, they'll scatter at the sight of someone carrying a walking stick, :lol:

Many reports on these forums about crop damage from all sorts of wild animals, which is always very frustrating, but I fail to see how shooting a young fox could possibly teach it a lesson for the future.  :unsure:

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 20:49 »
less foxes to breed for the future

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 21:14 »
If anyone has any sensible and non-lethal suggestions about reducing damage caused by foxes feel free to post them in this thread (if not, I'll have to lock it.)

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 22:04 »
Fox control by shooting is a perfectly legal and sensible way of controlling the population, definately not in an allotment scenario though. Smallholdings, farms and even enclosed private gardens are doable, with the correct equipment and FAC conditions. Just because someone doesnt agree with it, doesnt make it any less legitimate.
On our allotment site ive become resigned to the fact that i will lose some produce to the fox cubs-usually freshly planted leeks are dug up and scattered everywhere, but the damage has become much less since we persuaded everyone to stop feeding them leftovers from their sunday dinners etc. There are also less rats around now too as the foxes that are here have to work for their supper.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58 »
I grow in my biggish back garden surrounded by other gardens. Although I was totally devastated at losing all my chickens one year it taught me to increase protection which has worked fine.
Regarding the killing of foxes....yes..... it is legal if humane. I actually looked into a pert controller but came to the conclusion that killing or trapping/removing them just leaves a niche for another family to move in.
If people didn't feed them/we were more careful with our rubbish the environment wouldn't be so attractive and they would move on or have less cubs!
I know at least one person in the road is feeding them and there are several take-aways not far away so pickings are good. I have been totally gobsmacked finding whole eggs buried in the raised beds until I spotted the "little red lion" and realised they weren't mine.(who feeds foxes eggs?)
So better protection is my way forward.

xx
Foxes

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull
xx
Foxes...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 08:35
by poultrygeist
angry
Foxes!

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 16:48
by digwell123
xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 21:38
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 40 queries.