Scaffold sheeting

• 12 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Scaffold sheeting
« on: December 02, 2016, 21:04 »
Not sure if this section is the right place to post.

Looking to get a poly tunnel or something equivalent to,  at some point in the near future and have come across scaffold sheeting.

Has anyone used this for this kind of purpose.  There is a building project taking place not far from us  where the scaffolding is sheeted . I don't know if it is reused or disposed of at the end of the job , I'm going to enquire next time I'm passing , may get the health and Safety reply.

It seems quite robust and maybe have use.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Scaffold sheeting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 21:19 »
It looks to be the same mesh material used on the cheaper polytunnels (they are usually green mesh) So you should get a couple of years (at least) out of it.
Great if it's freebie  ;)

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 22:00 »
You can buy it on flea bay 2 x 45 mtrs for £65

Tenhens

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 22:16 »
I've come across it at work , it seems to be reasonably robust. I'm assuming that it has to pass certain safety requirements for it's intended use.

I had a wonder round the plot the other day and didn't see any of the 'cheaper ' tunnels which could suggest they are not worth bothering with , there were a few proper ones and some frames with debris netting.

Goneterseed - Yes, have seen it , not yet worked out how much needed to cost .  Hopefully I can take care of their disposal  - if you don't ask , you don't get!

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:28 »
If its free, then you have nothing to lose by trying it. My tunnel is made from debris netting and that works well.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

lettice

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 08:11 »
Think we are talking about debris netting.
That is what I use to cover my Brussels and other brassicas that are prone to attack.
Always found it to be robust and none of it has ripped, some has been up for three years. 
I normally get it from Amazon in 1m x 50m size for a tenner.

Id be a bit wary of stuff that has actually been used on scaffolding, just check if they have not been using any strong chemicals or paint sprays. You would not want that dripping on your plants or soil.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:15 by lettice »

ghost61

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:49 »
I got some of the plastic sheeting as well as debris netting when a local car park was being refurbed.  They cannot reuse it, and also they may have some end of roll bits that they will also discard.  They seemed to be keen to get rid of the stuff, and even bundled it up neatly for me and sorted out the best bits too!  They also sometimes have other bits and pieces, like sleepers etc.  Always worth an ask.  We gave it away on our site as we had too much and it got used for covering a chicken run and a greenhouse, as it had handy eyelets enabling it to be lashed to the frame.

Good luck!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:54 »
Think we are talking about debris netting.

Because of the reference to polytunnels, I assumed we were talking about the plastic mesh, like this

http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/mono-sheeting-heavy-duty-600-gauge-white-2m-x-45m/

Tenhens

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:15 »
Yes , mumofstig,   that's the stuff.   Sorry if I have caused a bit of confusion.

Id be a bit wary of stuff that has actually been used on scaffolding, just check if they have not been using any strong chemicals or paint sprays. You would not want that dripping on your plants or soil.

I got some of the plastic sheeting as well as debris netting when a local car park was being refurbed.  They cannot reuse it, and also they may have some end of roll bits that they will also discard.  They seemed to be keen to get rid of the stuff, and even bundled it up neatly for me and sorted out the best bits too!  They also sometimes have other bits and pieces, like sleepers etc.  Always worth an ask.  We gave it away on our site as we had too much and it got used for covering a chicken run and a greenhouse, as it had handy eyelets enabling it to be lashed to the frame.

Good luck!

Lettice , You make a good point , will check when asking.  The site in mind has quite a bit of scaffolding up.    Hopefully the season of good will has come early!!

Tenhens

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 19:34 »
Drove past the site earlier today , the pesky so and so's have dismantled it all and vacated.  Missed out, never mind or words to that effect!

Might be worth contacting companies that do this work.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 08:14 »
Scaffold sheeting's great stuff (especially when it's free) but unfortunately it's not UV stable. My lotty neighbour had it up for a couple of years but when it broke down we both had loads of little squares of plastic scattered into the soil. It just needed replacing earlier.

sweetpea84

• My diary of allotmenting in Gravesend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 23:28 »
I got UV stabilised plastic sheeting from.ebay at very reasonable prices. I think it cost me under 30 for enough to cover my greenhouse frame (3.5m x 2.2 m x 3m) and I had enough left over to do a mini cloche tunnel.

mrsbean

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 15:36 »
Dont know if this is relevant, scaffolding firms here sell used boards dead cheap and give away debis netting green and white. I use green as wind breaks and has been said to cover brassicas. The old frames of plastic mini greenhouses covered in green debris netting tied to fit with plastic ties make great cold frames to over winter plants cover top with plastic bags if heavy rain.

xx
Scaffold bars?

Started by infowarrior on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 08:34
by Will1983
xx
Tarpaflex sheeting

Started by Elmarto on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 05:49
by cadalot
xx
Plastic sheeting

Started by greydog on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 19:01
by tode
xx
Plastic Sheeting

Started by utigers on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:27
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.