Aggressive cockerel

• 12 Replies

Sassy

Aggressive cockerel
« on: April 02, 2009, 18:33 »
My light sussex cockerel has been a complete coward until about 2 weeks ago. He will be maturing up now (approx 12 months old) and is very aggressive when I go into the run. It really hurts when he launches himself at me and he is very quick. I have tried squaring up to him but he squares up back!

I have started to go in with a stick to defend myself but he still gets me. I am not a baby about these things but admit to becoming very wary of going in to the coop. I have to bend right down to reach into their hut to refill the food and worry about my face etc.  I have become frightened of him!!

Any ideas. I would like to reform him if possible.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Aggressive cockerel
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 19:30 »
My light sussex cockerel has been a complete coward until about 2 weeks ago. He will be maturing up now (approx 12 months old) and is very aggressive when I go into the run. It really hurts when he launches himself at me and he is very quick. I have tried squaring up to him but he squares up back!

I have started to go in with a stick to defend myself but he still gets me. I am not a baby about these things but admit to becoming very wary of going in to the coop. I have to bend right down to reach into their hut to refill the food and worry about my face etc.  I have become frightened of him!!

Any ideas. I would like to reform him if possible.

Cooked in garlic butter and red wine ...........................  :tongue2: :D
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 20:23 »
Stuffed with sage and onion - I NEVER keep aggressive cockerells they have to be dispatched straight away.   They are not worth the hassle.  I had an agressive cockerell last summer and that was a light sussex, it even took on the ponies in the field until one day there was a thundering around the filed and it was like road runner, this cockerell chasing the ponies around until the colt stopped turned its back end on it and bang, it was launced into space and landed with a thud, dead on impact! bit off more than it could chew with tha one but it was funny watching it chase the ponies, and boy could it run fast!

I have a nice cockerell here if you should want a nice one and he is free, a nice Buff Orpington and a real gentleman with it.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 20:37 »
there are a few suggestions on here about how to deal with them before you go down the roasting tin method. i asked the same question a few weeks ago, as both my boys have started getting rather big for their boots!! i think i listed it under "pesky pecking cockrels" if you want to have a look for it in the search box. if you are lucky one of the moderators will help you out with a link.. i havent sussed that bit out yet!.. :blink:

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 20:45 »
i have never had to deal with an agressive cockerel but at one of my old stable yards years ago there was a very very agressive goose  hehehehehhee  he would beat of anything that entered the yard most ppl ran a mile but i just put up with him  it was so funny .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 19:55 »
Thank you for your suggestions. It may come to the cooking pot but would like to try reforming him first.

I have tried chooknewbie's search and various others but did not come up with anything, would be grateful for any help.

alotment shed

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 20:08 »
roasted with butter on top and onions...... there is not many uses for a cockrel and when they get realy agesive then its time for sunday dinner. if you do it now it will be ready for tommorow 

Vember

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 20:19 »
Here you go Sassy :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31036.0

Hope it helps :)

Sarah :D

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 20:35 »
Another thing to try would be to pick him up and hold him while you are doing your chores. It will really work on the pride side of the rooster and after doing this for a few times he should avoid you. If he doesn't, put him in the pot and for sure don't use him for breeding.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 21:55 »
Thank you for the link. I did put that into search and came up with nothing!?

If I can get hold of him I will try this lying him on his side with his eyes covered. I don't know if I will be able to get hold of him tho'!!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:46 »
A long handled fish net works wonders on catching them.

Allotment_Guy

• Allotment Guy
    • Allotment Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 09:29 »
I had a problem with my hamburg bantam cock. I was handleing one of his hens when he came over and delivered a couple of pecks on the arm.
I replied with a left hook to his ribs, thought I had killed the silly old sod.

He seems to know who is boss now.

I am a little saddened to offer violance as advice - but when the alternetive is the pot for him then I think it's gotta be worth a shot.
Mad about allotting!!!

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 09:50 »
I can't disagree with you here. My husband kicked out at him, defensively, and it has had some effect - with my husband not me! So I may just need to be quicker!!

exclamation
My aggressive cockerel

Started by Sally J Smith on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:40
by shetan
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Rzlty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 14:24
by Vember
xx
Aggressive cockerel advice please

Started by katep on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 11:03
by wildwitchy
xx
very aggressive hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:16
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.