Slugs eating cabbage leaves

• 7 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Slugs eating cabbage leaves
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:38 »
Planted out my greyhound cabbage plants a few weeks ago and have noticed one or two of them are being eaten by slugs, I know it's slugs cos the silly beggars leave a trail of slime <shudders> I don't want to use slug pellets unless I really have to so wondered if there was anything else I could use. Someone mentioned sand around each plant, I thought about salt, any suggestions please?

m1ckz

Re: Slugs eating cabbage leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:52 »
ohhhh not salt.. not good for the soil ... its what slugs do..try a beer trap if u dont like the blue pellets..a drop of beer in a low container will sort them out//me i use the pellets lol

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:56 »
you could try various things - perhaps set up some beer traps, upturned grapefruit skins (you collect the slugs from under the skins every day and dispose of them), as well as stuff around the plants themselves.  I'm not convinced of sand (I've seen a snail safely go over a razor blade edge so "sharp" sand is not really a barrier) but something that is very drying which will affect their slug trails such as diatomaceous earth and/or sawdust (these will need to be replenished after rain)  Salt is not a bad suggestion for brassicas but don't forget that it will affect the soil for future crops so not something I would want to do - I think I read somewhere that layering seaweed around plants has the same effect (salty barrier) so long as it doesn't come in contact with the crops

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:01 »
Well blow me over with a feather I forgot I have a large tub of Diatom from when I had chickens. I will try that. I guess just a sprinkling over the soil would be enough.

I had a feeling salt was a no no but worth a mention  :D

al78

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:04 »
Nematodes.
Go to the plot regularly on a (ideally) damp night with a torch and a pair of scissors, go snippy snippy.
Spray regularly with a home-made garlic infusion, there are various recipes for this but the theory is that slugs don't like the taste of garlic and thus will be repelled.
Slug-gone wool pellets.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:15 »
Thick ring of bran round the plant. Allegedly they love to eat it but can't digest it the stomach swells and they die. I have used it seems to work but needs to be replaced after rain. I buy huge bags from an animal feed supplier.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39 »
I use growing success organic pellets. Certified for organic use, and very efficient.

Totty

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:46 »
Not cabbages I know, but I had 2 tubs of salad leaves n my bubble wrapped greenhouse coming along lovely.  Decided as they don't like it too warm I'm stand them round the back on top of the stones where I have my cold frame.  2 days later, half the leaves have been decimated by the slimy so and so's!   :mad: :mad:

I was hoping they wouldn't go over the stones!

xx
slugs eating potato leaves

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:15
by sunshineband
xx
Slugs eating my potato leaves

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:29
by gobs
xx
Slugs/snails eating leaves of Beans and peas

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 21:04
by Mitsy
xx
Slugs eating my onions !!!

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 11:09
by hubballi

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 39 queries.