Percina isn't well

• 4 Replies

mummychick

Percina isn't well
« on: March 31, 2011, 17:24 »
Percina, who is about a year old, has been laying soft eggs for about a week now.  She is still eating and drinking but I noticed today that she is standing all hunched up and she keeps closing her eyes.  I bought some mineral powder to add to their food, which says it will help with soft eggs.  Anyone got any idea what may be wrong with her?  :(

helens-hens

Re: Percina isn't well
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 17:30 »
I do know that laying softies can take it out of hens. Has she got plenty of access to Oystershell for calcium - this is a likely reason for the soft shells?

What sort of mineral powder are you giving her? If it is poultry spice then that is about 25% calcium which may help. A splash of cod liver oil which is high in vit D can also help with the absorption of calcium (which they normally 'manufacture' this  themselves from sunlight though this can be a problem with shorter days).

Hope this helps
Helen

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 17:43 »
Sorry, just noticed that I said 'has she got plenty of access to Oystershell for calcium - this is a likely reason for the soft shells' - what I meant was a lack of oystershell could be a problem - just thought I should clarify!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 18:29 »
mummychick, when did she lay her last egg?  Is there any sign of discharge and/or swelling around her rear end?  I've read on here about hens laying soft eggs where an egg can break inside her and not get properly cleared out, causing a nasty infection.  If you think this is the case, a visit to the vet would be called for.

I hope Percina is feeling better soon.

mummychick

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 21:41 »
Thank you for the replies  :)  She has access to Oystershells and grit, although I never see them going near it!!!  Not sure when she laid her last egg as we have 4 chickens and I'm not sure who lays what!!  But I have seen her going into the house to lay an egg.  The mineral powder I am giving her says that it has 45% Calcium.  She seems better today and she is definately not off her food, lets hope she keeps improving  :)

xx
Percina is in clucky heaven

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:52
by Beakybird

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.