Seed tape

• 19 Replies

bigben

Re: Seed tape
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32 »
I found them pricey and had problems with squirels or cats digging them up - if it was just seeds then  only a few get disturbed but with the tape they pulled up lengths of the stuff and I had to try and replant. I liked the idea of not having to thin carrots,  but found that it only took a couple to not germinate and I ended up with large gaps. I will not be using them this year.

Greendream

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 20:48 »
Was just going to ask the same question...saw them in LDLs and wondered how they do?  :unsure:
 Glad to see I am not alone in managing to drop more seeds than I actually plant!  :)
I think I will give them a try...especially for carrots and parsnips.
Is tape a new thing or has it always been around?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:06 »
They've been around for donkey's years.

I'd listen to what bigben said about them, especially with regard to the sporadic germination and large gaps.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:54 »
I have found them to be great, BUT only the carrot ones!  For leeks etc, a pinch in a pot does me fine.   

I got my best ever crop from them last year.  It helps if you mark out the drill, put some sand into the bottom of it, water the drill then put the tapes on top, then cover with a light composting, this makes them stick into the soil and start breaking up immediately.  I found that if you tried to put them straight into the soil they twist in the breeze and the germination is a bit lower. 

My only criticism of them is that you are bound by the length the seed companies provide them in.  It would be nice if you could buy short (1m), medium (3m), etc. 

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 16:27 »
There was an artical in Kitchen Garden about these recently and they are supposed to work better as something in the paper mix helps germination, but that wasn't the original intention, just a fortunate by product  :D

xx
Seed Tape

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 10:03
by mumofstig
xx
Seed tape?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 14:00
by sclarke624
xx
Seed Tape

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 17:20
by sunshineband
xx
seed tape

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 19:46
by wilbzfishing

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 34 queries.