Safe plants for chickens?

• 19 Replies

shiatsusu

Safe plants for chickens?
« on: February 11, 2009, 13:55 »
I want to plant some shrubs in the chicken patch for shade etc and wondered if anyone knew any I should steer clear of for health implications with chooks? Obviously they won't be baby plants - the girls would dig them out straight away  ??? Any thoughts would be most welcome  :blink:

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
Re: Safe plants for chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 15:23 »
Elderberry as long as you don't mind purple poo for a couple of months every year. They also love Pyracantha (Firethorn berries). Depending on what breeds you are keeping you will always be trying to keep them off some parts of the garden, some are more destructive than others. Fruit trees are ideal as they provide good cover. Chickens are omniverous and will eat almost anything. They will free range and seem to have an instinct for what is good or bad for them. They seldom get poisoned.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 16:01 »
Thanks Allan thats really useful. They are in a designated patch which is a bit bare at the mo hence the interest in making it more interesting for them. The pyracantha sounds interesting. It would be good to put something in they can get more than shade from.  :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 16:03 »
PS Just looked up pyracantha, people rave about it for wildlife but warn it can be smelly- any experience of that yourself?

CrazyMayonnaisy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 16:48 »
Hi,

I have found after having my chucks since last July, the only plants left in the garden are trees, a rosemary bush and a purple sage. Everything else they have eaten  :ohmy: Yes EVERYTHING! Although they seemed not to like the geraniums at first, when they had devoured everything else, they ate them too. Actually I dont think they ate the chives, (but they would be no good for shelter anyway).

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 17:03 »
Ah yes, perhaps I am being rather hopeful that they would appreciate my kind intentions and NOT destroy all the fruits of my labours!! There's always plastic plants I suppose...  :tongue2: I'll let you know whether mine do the same! ::)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 18:54 »
This is Pyracantha. There is no smell.

Allan

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 20:33 »
i have just ordered my first hens and built a fixed pen in the garden, the pen goes round a winter jasmine a honeysuckle and an ivy growing around a tree, does anyone know if the hens will be ok with the berries from the ivy and honeysuckle, i think the ivy will be ok as the blackbirds love them in the winter

martyn

shiatsusu

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 20:53 »
Hi everyone, now it's night time I've got a bit more time  ::)  and have just done a google search on poisonous plants for chooks which I thought you might find interesting. Here's the link to omlet's piece on the subject http://wiki.omlet.co.uk/index.php/List_of_plants_that_are_poisonous_or_harmful_to_chickens

Interestingly it notes elderberry as poisonous, but Rhode Runner's girls seem to be fine with it. It also notes ivy as poisonous to chooks (see grumpdad's msg).  Apparently yellow sage is not great for chooks which may explain why the purple version was one of the few plants left standing in crazyMayonnaisy's garden!
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of chooks eating the plants on this list with no ill effects? It does seem to throw doubt onto what they are suggesting which, come to think of it, doesn't make it that useful a list after all... :blush: !

Vember

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 21:01 »
My Geese love buttercups yet I see they are mentioned.
The daffodil I think it's the bulb rather than the flower that's poisonous ??? My chickens leave the leaves alone then peck to pieces the flowers - no ill effects :)

I have in my run Hydrangeas, Californian Lilac, Escallonia(sp), Hebe, Pheasant Berry and Fusias (big variety) and all are still standing :D
Admittedly these were already established before hand and the area I'm taking about is quite big, maybe in a smaller area they would eat them ???

Sarah :D

shiatsusu

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 21:04 »
I'm wondering whether the best thing is just to stick some things in and let instinct take over? Maybe we all worry too much??  :unsure:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:28 »
The daffodil I think it's the bulb rather than the flower that's poisonous ??? My chickens leave the leaves alone then peck to pieces the flowers - no ill effects :)

that's right : they don't eat the things generally, but just @@$%@@ dig them up!  :mad:

I'm not expecting much in the way of a great daff display if last year is anything to go by (a much reduced display even though by then we'd only had them 2 months - they still managed to dig about half of them up and they've been in the patch all year this time round!)

:(

Hengist

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:36 »
i have just ordered my first hens and built a fixed pen in the garden, the pen goes round a winter jasmine a honeysuckle and an ivy growing around a tree, does anyone know if the hens will be ok with the berries from the ivy and honeysuckle, i think the ivy will be ok as the blackbirds love them in the winter

martyn

I'd worry about honeysuckle and ivy berries.  However, hens often don't eat stuff that would be bad for them.  Some instinct?  Someone else might have direct experience.

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 11:34 »

martyn

I'd worry about honeysuckle and ivy berries.  However, hens often don't eat stuff that would be bad for them.  Some instinct?  Someone else might have direct experience.

All chickens are directly descended from wild jungle fowl. These birds free ranged in forests crammed with poisonous and dangerous fruits and berries. They had nobody to decide which was good or bad for them to eat, yet they have survived to the present day and continue to thrive in our inhospitable and dangerous climate. I think many more free range birds die through predator attacks than self inflicted poisonings.

Think of the birds that thrive on the island at Bungay.

Allan

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 16:20 »
thanks for the advice, i am going to put them in and see what happens....watch this space..lol.. hope they will be ok, dont want a tragedy on my first outing....whilst on about poisons, does anyone use creosote for their hen houses or just the new fence paints ?

martyn

xx
Will our school chickens be safe?

Started by Reflection on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 10:17
by Sassy
xx
is tea tree oil safe to use on chickens?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 09:08
by Bubbles
xx
Newbie to chickens not sure if they will be safe from foxes.

Started by hills999 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 08:52
by Sassy
xx
whats safe to feed chickens

Started by JMF on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 20:47
by Flossie

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.