Most economical vegetables for an allotment

• 69 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Most economical vegetables for an allotment
« on: December 22, 2014, 17:25 »
2014 was my first year with an allotment, so it has been a bit of a learning experience.

previously I was only able to grow tomatoes, in the greenhouse at home, but this year I have tried stacks of different things.

Some did OK, some great and others not too good. I even grew several rows of potatoes, basically just to get the space filled. They were OK, but with spuds costing only £3 or £4 for a big bag, I don't think they are a very economical crop.

I realise it's not all about economics ... basic goodness, taste and the pleasure of being outdoors are also big factors as far as allotment growing is concerned.

But, just as a matter of interest, which crops are the most economical to grow. By that I mean which crop would produce the most value per square metres, if I had to buy everything fro my local supermarket. (I have a feeling mixed salad leaves would be near the top)

thank you ... and a Merry Christmas to all.  ;)

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Most economical vegetables for an allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 17:36 »
Courgettes I think are one of mine. For the price of a couple of seeds (maybe £2) you can have courgettes for months over the summer.

Ooh and definitely things like raspberries. Bit of initial out lay but then years of crops with only a little maintenance.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 17:38 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 17:41 »
Courgettes I think are one of mine. For the price of a couple of seeds (maybe £2) you can have courgettes for months over the summer.

Ooh and definitely things like raspberries. Bit of initial out lay but then years of crops with only a little maintenance.
I actually grew courgettes (yellow ones) and they seemed to do very well. I actually gave them all away, as I didn't really know how to cook them. the kids don't like trying things new, so that seemed the best option.

I put in Polka raspberries late in 2013, but all but 1 died. Luckily the supplier (Blackmoor) replaced them a few weeks ago. lets hope the new ones do better.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 17:41 by wbmkk »

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 17:47 »
For me, it's fruits.

Fruit, jams and wine are all expensive. Plus fruit bushes and trees last a long time.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 17:51 »
Runner beans are quite expensive in the shops and take up little ground space as they grow upwards!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 18:20 »
Agree with DD about runner beans and Kate and her ducks re_ courgettes (you only need to view threads about gluts to find out why!)

'Salad stuff' is also quite easy to grow (slugs permitting) and never that cheap in the shops.

If you don't like any of the above then please ignore this post!  :lol:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 18:26 »
snap peas or mangetout are easy to grow and expensive in the shops.

Runner beans are a must have, but French beans are good if you don't like runners and grow rhubarb. Have you seen how much the supermarkets charge for a few sticks of that?  ::)

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 19:19 »
snap peas or mangetout are easy to grow and expensive in the shops.
Tried them this year .. didn't seem to do very well

Runner beans are a must have, but French beans are good if you don't like runners
Runners and French beans went in my allotment on the same day, late in May. Runners did very well, but French beans all failed to grow. Runner beans are quite tasteful, so will grow again next year

and grow rhubarb. Have you seen how much the supermarkets charge for a few sticks of that?  ::)
Bought some last winter, but didn't pick any this year. Looking forward to rhubarb crumble next year ... with EVERY meal

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 19:27 »
There are a few ways to look at it.

I grow quite a few things that I save the seed from, so they effectively cost me nothing but time - various tomatoes, Wizard beans (old fashioned broad beans), various types of beans for eating fresh as french beans, or using as dried beans.

If you want cheap seeds to cut costs, Wilkinsons and places like B&M and The Range do limited ranges but they cover all the basics.  if you have a Wyevale garden centre near you, it is worth watching out for the 50p seeds sales as well.

If you want to best return versus supermarket prices, I think your hunch about baby salad leaves is pretty spot on  :)  I would second Kate's suggestion of raspberries as well.  All soft fruit costs a bomb and is easy to grow. 

Prolific veg like runner beans and courgettes will feed you for weeks, but if the kids don't like cougettes, try pumpkins or squashes instead.  Kids love growing them and the sweeter, denser flesh seems more attractive to them.  Its also very easy to incorporate into mashed potato and they will wolf them that way  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 19:29 »
Our locally grown spuds are really cheap too (free sometimes!) so my favourites are strawberries and blackcurrants.  Would like raspberries too, but not at this house!

Runner and french beans (I grow climbing french as well to save on space)  also Alderman climbing peas, Can't beat Home grown carrots, courgettes, leeks, aubergines (when I can get them to grow!) and lots of beetroot for the OH

Tomatoes and chillies and peppers in the greenhouse.  Oh and my butternut squash did quite well this year, but I did have a lot of spare space!   :) ;)

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 19:38 »
Beetroots and spring onions - I had a great year for both and the spring onions were so tasty and strong.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 19:56 »
Pumpkins.  Pumpkins.  did I mention Pumpkins?  £3 or £4 for a few pegs of a crown prince around here and I've got a fortune in the garage  :mad: 
Herbs.  Spring Onions- you only need a couple at a time.
Rhubarb always (refuse to pay anything when it grows like weeds)
ditto broad beans, chard, Kale (£1 a bag for Nero Calvo in waitrose!).  PSB.  All saves me a bomb.  Strawberries. 

I agree about spuds- I only do a few early salad ones.

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 20:03 »
i guess the answer to your question would depend mainly on what you like to eat. you could grow saffron (valued higher than gold, weight for weight) but if your not going to use it it's not worth anything to you.

agreed with runner beans and french for that matter, easy to grow as well.

rhubarb and raspberries are pretty easy to grow, don't take a massive amount of space, ridiculously expensive to buy in the shops. if your lucky you may be able to scrounge some crowns and canes.

also worth baring in mind the taste (especially tomatoes) difference, and the varieties that you can't get in the shops.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 20:05 »
I can echo what others have already said, and add asparagus. Although the initial outlay seems a lot, they do crop then for around 20 years or so with not too much effort, and of course the spears are far from cheap to buy  ;)

and of course beefsteak tomatoes  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

beesrus

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 20:05 »
Per square metre, I would say raspberries are monetarily my best crop, followed by tomatoes, curly kale.  Sprouting broccoli is also right up there... organic psb at Riverford is 7 pounds a kilo.
Sweet corn take a little room, but I get 100 plus cobs a year. I would never buy that many at shop prices and so would miss out.

xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
Which way should rows of vegetables run.......?

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 14:25
by Jodie A
xx
Shady vegetables

Started by Jbee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:26
by Ema

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.