Composting

• 21 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Re: Composting
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 19:47 »
Would this work?

Given that we are in the Peak District pretty high up I'm concerned that composting might be hampered by cold weather.

I'm thinking of a three bin system made from recycled pallets but adding to it a wrapping of 1 inch kingspan.  I can pick up the kingspan for a tenner a sheet so it shouldn't make it too expensive.  The idea is that the insulation would allow the microbes/bacteria to get on with it even if we are in the depths of winter. 

What's the critical temperature to ensure efficient composting?

Your thoughts/crits are welcome.

Adri

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 22:06 »
What happens to kingspan if it gets wet repeatedly?  Any risk of disintegration?  If you are not confident about its long-term stability under wet conditions then I wouldn't want it anywhere near stuff I'd be putting on my edible crops.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Headgardener22

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 18:53 »
I think the point is that a cold heap takes longer to rot and won't kill off all the bugs and diseases quite as effectively but it will rot down you just need to leave it longer.

I'm not convinced that 1" insulation would make much difference to a thing that large, particularly overwinter when the stuff is cold anyway. Looking at the internet, they seem to be talking about temperatures of 55-65C and I don't think you'll get anywhere near that in winter with a pile only 3-4ft cube however well insulated.

In addition, hot compost heaps are usually turned regularly so your insulation will get damaged.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 02:29 »
I'm not convinced that 1" insulation would make much difference to a thing that large, particularly overwinter when the stuff is cold anyway. Looking at the internet, they seem to be talking about temperatures of 55-65C and I don't think you'll get anywhere near that in winter with a pile only 3-4ft cube however well insulated.

I agree and share your PoV, but Hotbin (not tried one, myself) is only an inch or so of insulation and claims to be able to maintain heat, even in Winter (and folk posting on forums seem to back that up).  Too expensive for me ... but I do have some sheets of Celotex lying around :)

http://www.hotbincomposting.com/compost-bins/hotbin-composting-extra.html

cadalot

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:29 »
Take a look at One Yard at a Time some interesting videos about composting

2 Min. Tip: Heat up Compost without Turning It (Quick & Easy!) 48CVemo_ELM
There are lots of other videos and this is one of my most often visited YouTube gardening channels

Mycorrhizae & Mycorrhizal Soil Amendments 2tdo3wSHVhA
Free Fungally Dominated Compost Szpeva5mt_c

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 08:19 »
1" of Kingspan insulates remarkably well and would I'm sure do the trick.  Just need to find a way of protecting the insulation so turning the compost is easier.

Adri
Peak Hives

cadalot

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:38 »
1" of Kingspan insulates remarkably well and would I'm sure do the trick.  Just need to find a way of protecting the insulation so turning the compost is easier.

Adri

Or do as he does in the video above and don't turn it

xx
Composting

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 11:19
by noshed
xx
composting

Started by nataiva on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 21:18
by nataiva
xx
Composting

Started by Footy Man on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 11:22
by JayG
xx
composting

Started by Redgoat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 09:09
by JayG

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 39 queries.