I Saw A Mouse.......

• 16 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
I Saw A Mouse.......
« on: October 25, 2013, 21:19 »
Where, right there on my allotment  :dry:

It was sat a cool as a cucumber at the back of one of my raised beds, it didn't even flinch when I got down to check if it was dead or alive, (it was alive). I just let it be, I figured that finding a mouse in the wild, albeit a cultivated wild, is only to be expected but should I be worried about the presence of a mouse?

gypsy

Re: I Saw A Mouse.......
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 21:30 »
They are very partial to sweetcorn, peas, beans, pumpkin, blackberries etc so I would ask it to find a new home.
Catherine

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 21:37 »
I was the only one on our site yesterday as I walked up to the toilet there was one of your mouses bigger cousins sitting in the middle of the path.  I didn't bother going to the toilet as he didn't seem to interested in moving out of my way :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 21:50 »
OH was discombobulated whilst digging up the spuds. Very painful I hear you squeal :lol:

As he was digging a whole family came up from the ground where he was digging. He said there were about 8 of them.

I didn't ask what the outcome was, but I suspect it involved the spade. ::)

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:09 »
I fook the heavy cover of a manure and green compost pile in the late summer to check its progress to be greeted by a whole family mum dad and plenty toddlers lolol then when I was harvestin my sweetcorn that was close to it found out what theyd raised there toddlers on tey all looked very healthy lol

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:12 »
When I was turning the compost bin the other week,there was I right in the bin(it's big,needs to be) when all of a sudden I saw a movement,from a safe distance of outside the bin I saw 4 or 5 tiny mice vacating the bin but 2 got lost, I  helped 1 on the right way  to join it's siblings with the spade but the other 1 I ended up picking up by it's tail & popping through the gap. I know I'll curse when they eat my crops,but they were very cute & I really couldn't have clobbered them with the spade :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:52 »
MickyB - there is never only one mouse  :lol: you may see one on his own but see .....

IOwinLWrEIw
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:54 by cadalot »

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:05 »
I will have to check around the area of the sighting as there are a couple of cut off pieces of plastic pipes which might make a nice nesting site  :ohmy:

The spade technique is not for me but if I can catch them I might relocate them to the local woods.

Thanks for the video link! If they wasn't so cute it would give me nightmares.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:08 by MickyB »

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:39 »
I would just leave them be on my plot. I am sure there are thousands of rats, mice, badgers etc in the area and my killing the odd mouse will not make a scrap of difference. I can't bear to kill creepy crawlies, I would have nightmares if I killed a mouse!    :)

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:42 »
They are closing Euro Disney because of mice...

They found a 6 foot mouse in the kitchen

Sorry only taking the Mickey  :nowink:

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 08:45 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 16:34 »
I will have to check around the area of the sighting as there are a couple of cut off pieces of plastic pipes which might make a nice nesting site  :ohmy:

The spade technique is not for me but if I can catch them I might relocate them to the local woods.

Thanks for the video link! If they wasn't so cute it would give me nightmares.   ;)

One or two might look cute but the little beggars breed. I used to think they were cute until I had a family move into my kitchen store cupboard 9 years ago.  Have spade will wallop. Now I keep multi traps outside the house and in the garage and utility.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 10:03 »
I think mice ate every single one of the peas I sowed this year. But recently, I have a seen a weasel both in my shed and in the pile of old stones in the corner of my plot so I'm hoping he will hang around come spring

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 12:01 »
One or two might look cute but the little beggars breed. I used to think they were cute until I had a family move into my kitchen store cupboard 9 years ago.  Have spade will wallop. Now I keep multi traps outside the house and in the garage and utility.

Yes I think I might feel differently about them if they were in or near to the house. The mouse looks to have moved on and a tidy up revealed no nest  :) So hopefully I can move on and concentrate on worrying about how the greenhouse is going to fare in the predicated hurricane  :dry:

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 19:21 »
I lifted my carrots today half of them I pulled up rather easily because the entire root had been gobbled up...... The tunnels under my grass are to such an extent that when walking I feel like the earth is going to collapse beneath me! Sweet corn was stripped bare. 

Though they haven't touched my autumn sown broadbeans (yet)

xx
MOUSE

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 18:09
by dankay123
xx
Mouse

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 14:18
by Trillium
question
A mouse among onions

Started by Frogster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 00:21
by Frogster
xx
Mouse in compost

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 23:29
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 38 queries.