No eggs have hatched and its day 21

• 25 Replies

Pretty Chick

Re: No eggs have hatched and its day 21
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:50 »
How're things going Luke? Have any hatched? :)

That's great to hear jobson :) Looking forward to seeing the piccies ;)
All lives are precious.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:02 »
Don't give up - today is day 25 for mine and the first (out of three) has just hatched and she is still sat tight so hopefully the others may still be viable  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Xxluke11xX

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 07:31 »
hi guys none hatched i had 4 bad eggs with nothing in and i had a cracked 1 with a dead chick in it . But i got 1 left that is ok so im hoping that will hatch. I have alos purchesd a incbator and i am going to hatch some in there  :D i would alos like some advice on what eggs to get i want some really go egg laying hens. i was also thinking of geting 2 foster chicks for my broody hen any idears what to do on that front thanks luke  ;)
L.B

Chablis Dog

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 08:03 »
I am also in the same position, waiting for my first clutch of eggs under my broody hen and getting stressed.  At first I didn't realise she was broody, I thought she was ill (cos I'm a newbie!), so don't have a completely clear idea of how long she has been sitting on them but it is certainly around the 21 day time now.  What is worrying me is that now she won't move off the nest.  I have put food and water nearby but she doesn't seem to touch them and it is very warm here.  I know nature knows best but I am still getting very worried about her.  How long should I leave her like this?

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 09:10 »
hi, im still fairly new myself but my broodie has been sat for 21 days, i leave her corn and water and i didnt think she moved either and tried pushing her off in an attempt to get her up but she just sat back down again looking very annoyed at me, i hav since seen her a couple of times get up have a quick drink and few pieces of corn then sit again, it could be that yours is doing this when you not there, advice ive had is not to worry as she is very unlikely to just sit there and die as like you said nature knows best and they read their bodies and will react to it accordingly.
they go into a trance like state so assume everything slows down, as not moving around they requuire less food for energy, id say dont panic and im sure she will be up and about with the chicks soon!
good luck!
i have 11 chicks in the incubator now and still some pipping to come out, 7 under the broodie!
 ::)

Chablis Dog

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20 »
Wow, we have our first chick, our very first chick and I am so pleased!!!!  Even though I thought I had messed it up Saturday by moving the hen to make her quarters better (then she wouldn't get back on the eggs until I put it back the way it was by which time the clutch was cooling!!!).  She is still sitting on three other eggs, so we might even get more in the next day or so.  I can't believe how much worry these little things have caused but I have learnt a lot and will know much better next time.  I was just worried that my bumbling ways had jeopardised the clutch but so far so good!  I have even managed to get the hen to eat a little (I put a dish of tinned sweetcorn in front of her and that seemed to do the trick!).

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 09:45 »
Oh how lovely another little chick, so pleased for you and hopefully over the next day or so a few more will hatch  :)

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 10:22 »
weldone, amazing isnt it. i have a final count of 16 hatched out of 20 so very pleased with this, 3 were infertile and the other died in the egg at what looks like about 2 weeks.
cant wait to get the next lot in!
 :D

compie

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 13:11 »
i have some large hens there eggs can take up to 28 days to hatch

hillfooter

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 13:53 »
Day one is the day AFTER you put the eggs in. It is not an exact science and as others have said they can hatch up to several days after day 21. Good luck :)

Yes I think Luke was being a little premature in his initial post it's 21 elapsed days from the point at which they set which is after they reach chicken body temperature.  So the evening of July 31 was 21 elapsed days and it seems his all hatched around 1st Aug which is not far out.   As has been said the conditions in which they are incubated can vary the hatch time as can the breed and size of egg but usually once they start they tend to all hatch within 36 hours or so.
HF
Truth through science.

bantam novice

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 21:49 »
Great news  :)  How exciting!  I can't wait for mine to hatch (due around 15th August) and I'm sure I'll be checking dozens of times a day all next week.  Do you have any Pics?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Silkies eggs hatched

Started by slowef on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 17:24
by babe
xx
Tesco Eggs Being Hatched!!

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 08:43
by The Chicken Lady
xx
3rd time lucky - I hatched some eggs/chicks. Should I vaccinate?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 22:32
by nuzuki
xx
well R-COM PRO hatched two

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 21:41
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 36 queries.