maggots

• 5 Replies

treecol

maggots
« on: June 12, 2015, 22:26 »
I read on another thread about a hen with an impacted crop that a pint of maggots can clear the problem. But can they also be fed as a treat? We have a fishing shop up the road so if it won't harm them I'd like to give them occaisionally.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: maggots
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:56 »
It won't harm them and I am sure you would get mobbed, but there are a couple of things to bear in mind.   You make your own mind up, but I have to at least mention the Defra rules on this.

Regulations say no as it constitutes a risk feeding animal products to another animal.  The rules were introduced following the BSE crisis, so do have a basis in common sense, even if it seems a bit OTT for backgarden chicken keepers.   You have no control over what the maggots were fed on, so you don't know what you are potentially introducing into your hens.   

The other would be how fatty and protein rich grubs of any sort are.  Fat hens don't lay well and too much protein is not good for them.

Before you roll your eyes at me, I know you are talking about an occasional treat and that left to free range, hens will stuff just about any bug and grub down their beaks  :)   

treecol

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 14:09 »
Thank you that makes perfect sense. I think I will give it a miss - the girls have only been in their run for a couple of hours and have dug up an incredible amount of bugs already. I really apreciate you answering.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 20:18 »
Mealworms are grain fed and do not pose any threat, apsrt from the chooks having your fingers off fighting to get them ! :D

Not difficult to breed a few yourself if you want !

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:51 »
Mealworms are grain fed and do not pose any threat, apsrt from the chooks having your fingers off fighting to get them ! :D

Not difficult to breed a few yourself if you want !

Does this depend on where the mealworms originate from? I seem to recall there has been a problem with some supplies carrying nasties  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RubyR3d

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 18:04 »
We have left a bit of raw chicken out to get fly blown then thrown the maggots over the fence. We do it for the garden birds as well. When the dustbin gets maggoty sometimes we leave the lid open for the blackbirds and robins which seem to wait for them dropping off the side of the bin. Hmmmm lovely  :nowink:

xx
Maggots

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 12:23
by slowef
xx
maggots

Started by barley on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 18:14
by agapanthus
xx
maggots

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 21:03
by Mr Chookles
xx
Maggots

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 10:27
by Sassy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.