automatic pop hole openers/closers

• 11 Replies

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« on: January 19, 2009, 23:04 »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how much these are,& how they work,I mean,I suppose they are electric?? :? They sound like a great thing to have,especially in winter...I wasn't very keen to drag myself out in my wellies & dressing gown in the pouring rain this am!! :lol: If my neighbours see me they'd have a right laugh...... :oops:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

desandchez

Auto door openers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42 »
best thing since sliced bread,we keep our girls on an allotment and if ever we are late getting up or home we know that the girls are safe. Cost are around the £100 mark depends on what you want it to do.
try google ''flyte so fancy'' every where we tried was around the same price  the good part is that they work on batteries

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51 »
HERE'Sa similar thread Chookaholic. :)

Rob 8)

sunshinemedic

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 20:23 »
A must have for chook keepers in full time employment especially in winter. I've had to leave and return in darkness for the last few weeks but with the automatic pop hole opener/closer, I really don't have to worry about the girls.  :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 20:39 »
If you need first-hand advice, I know Foxy and Roughlee-Handled won't mind giving you some feedback.

Rob 8)

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 21:46 »
I have several. Worth every penny. Think about how you will fit it to shed/house first though because there are several options. Have a look at the VSB website for more information and choices. No problems through ice, snow, rain or high temperatures either.  Worth buying their doors too, very light and easy to fit - batteries last longer that way.  I prefer the inside mounted version with light sensor to run outside, stays drier (not that that makes any difference whatsoever to the performance!).

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 22:01 »
many thanks everyone for your tips & advice.I will look into it.Handy for when you go on holiday too I imagine.I can get chicken sitters,but I think they will be happier if they don't have to turn up early every morning to let them out!! :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 22:46 »
(sorry to hijack your thread Chookie but....) Tom... is it so dark by the time that the door closes that all the hens would be inside?

Mine go in just as it starts to get dark, but occasionally one pops back outside for a drink before going back to bed and I'd hate for them to be locked out!  

I think I'd find it most useful to have it for opening up in the morning, that way I could have a lie in or not worry about letting them out before work etc but I'd still go down every evening to make sure they are safely in bed.

sunshinemedic

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 23:15 »
You can adjust the level of light which triggers the mechanism but I found the default setting OK.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:03 »
Oppps did I here my name being mentioned?  Auto pophole openers are great.  But do not trust them wholly.  I have had three occasions this since June when the draw wire has snapped, once because of wear (I placed the opener incorrectly and this caused the wire to fray and snap.) The other two times the door froze solid and broke the wire and therefore I always check and make sure that it has opened in the morning.  I like it because at the weekend I can have a lie in.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Molly Hen

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 19:08 »
I got my door opener a couple of weeks back and also worried about them not being in bed before dark, so bought the timer to go with it.  I use the timer to open up in the morning and to close at night at 5pm.  Well, saying that I have just 'extended opening hours' tonight as for the 2nd night running someone has still been out, so I guess it is staying just a tad lighter till later (but not by much).  
I now have it to close at 6 so hopefully that will solve the problem.  The girls have been goods as gold though in me picking them up and taking them in these last two night...... good excuse to get a cuddle me thinks :lol:

When spring is here I am going to try the light sensor for opening/closing.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 22:13 »
As mentioned, default setting has always been fine for me too (never had any locked out) but you can easily adjust sensitivity.  Timer is also good for summer if you have cockerels, limits the noise they can produce too early in lighter mornings and you can keep them in that bit longer, or before mr fox goes for an early morning snack.

xx
Automatic door openers

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 11:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Non-auto pop hole openers

Started by Mossley on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 14:03
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Do not totaly trust your Auto pop hole openers.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 12:36
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Automatic Pop Hole

Started by Curlytop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 16:26
by Curlytop

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 39 queries.