"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #465 on: August 14, 2017, 17:14 »
Head down weeding in my garden at home and became aware of 'something' at my side. I looked to the side and was face to face with a young fox  :D

It stopped a while, looking at me, before deciding I wasn't safe to be near and darted off into next door's wilderness garden  :lol: I'm still not sure how he/she got in, there appears to be no access point from that side, and neighbour was sitting in his garden and didn't see the fox.

Wildlife is always closer than we think..

Paul Plots

« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2017, 13:50 »
How lovely MUM.

Had a similar experience years ago picking raspberries from a long high and thick patch. As I made my way along the row the whole patch around me seemed to "spring". I thought it might be a hefty bird until I looked over/through the raspberries and saw a flash of reddy brown vanishing only to stop a few meters away.

I had disturbed a young snoozing fox - we both looked at each other rather stunned. I'm not sure if I had trodden on its tail by accident or it had simply woken in a start.

Lovely looking creatures when they are in good condition but I'm not encouraging them to visit me. So pleased to no longer have all my potatoes unearthed every time I earthed them up... an no unpleasant calling cards around the place.

PS - they are brilliant at scaling fences and walls!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

8doubles

« Reply #467 on: October 17, 2017, 13:34 »
Portuguese men of war on the beach !
The tentacles are long and hard to see !
Dog walkers and bathers beware !
IMG0012A.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45 »
Spotted the first clump of frogspawn in the pond yesterday.

snowdrops

« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2018, 16:39 »
Spotted the first clump of frogspawn in the pond yesterday.

Wow that’s early, I need to get on then with my pond transformation from a fish pond(that sprung a leak last year) into a wildlife pond.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #470 on: April 04, 2018, 05:26 »
After the cold wet Easter it was an absolute joy to walk along the canal towpath and see the Blackthorn flowering, the first green on the Hawthorn, and Celandines, Cowslips and Coltsfoot in flower. The Dunnocks were singing beautifully. Maybe Spring has come!

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #471 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34 »
I was watering my greenhouse so up and down the plot I walked (butts were too far, which I've since rectified) I looked up to meet the eye of a fox sat watching me from about 8 metres. Maybe the same fox that dug into my chicken run and killed most of them. - something I thought impossible given the wire I'd buried and other precautions. I bear it no ill will.

I have relays of hedgehogs in my garden. I've been feeding them for years and so did my neighbour. Eight years ago I'd built a hedgehog home yet nothing bothered with it until this year when I picked it up to move it and noticed it was very heavy. My wildlife camera videoed the hedgepig taking 30 minutes to emerge later that night. He must've been wary after having his/her home picked up.

The camera picks up a lot of activity at night - mice, one rat since departed, local cats. No fox yet.

I'd like the council to put ramps on the roads to slow the cars down on our estate, as people often drive far too fast and squash the hedgehogs. I'm putting up a sign for all the good it might do.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #472 on: May 22, 2018, 18:31 »
Mr S is henceforth to be known as The Molecatcher, as that is exactly what he did yesterday, caught a mole in his (gloved) hands as it wriggled near the soil surface.

It didn't seem phased at all, and very quickly burrowed down into the ground in an unused plot across the road, completely disappearing in about 10 seconds with those huge, amazing paws

I did add the photo to my diary but I thought others might like to see it too...
P1190580.JPG
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DanielCoffey

« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2018, 20:38 »
I don't know which of the Scottish blue Damselflies this is but we have a lot of them. Sorry the picture isn't a little sharper but it was hand-held and auto-focus cos the thing kept moving around...
Damselfly.jpg

Debz

« Reply #474 on: June 07, 2018, 14:01 »
Doing a spot of pond dipping with the kids at the weekend and we caught 4 newts.  Husband took pictures of them and the staff at the RSPB site we were dipping on think one might have been a great crested newt.  Much excitement and the pictures were sent on for further analysis.  I'd never seen a newt before so was completely unaware.

snowdrops

« Reply #475 on: June 08, 2018, 08:28 »
Doing a spot of pond dipping with the kids at the weekend and we caught 4 newts.  Husband took pictures of them and the staff at the RSPB site we were dipping on think one might have been a great crested newt.  Much excitement and the pictures were sent on for further analysis.  I'd never seen a newt before so was completely unaware.

That’s exciting, newts are lovely little creatures, they moved into our pond at the old house,not crested though.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: June 17, 2018, 19:08 »
The slow worm spas, a.k.a. my compost heaps, are in full operation.  I got some looks from these 2 when I lifted the cover to put more stuff in.  I took the hint and moved on to the next bin  ;)  :lol:
IMG_2535.JPG
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 19:10 by New shoot »

DanielCoffey

« Reply #477 on: June 17, 2018, 19:16 »
We have a somewhat portly (and possibly pregnant) visitor every evening around 7pm...
Hedgehog.jpg

madcat

« Reply #478 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40 »
The slow worm spas, a.k.a. my compost heaps, are in full operation.  I got some looks from these 2 when I lifted the cover to put more stuff in.  I took the hint and moved on to the next bin  ;)  :lol:

Ah yes - we get the same look from the grass snake on the allotment compost heap!  But she likes extra green stuff on top to keep the heat up .... so when we appear, she disappears into the heap, the grass goes on top and half an hour later she is back on top of the new stuff ..... No wonder we don't have as many frogs as we used to get, given the number of hatched eggs we find in the heap each early spring when we dig it out.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

8doubles

« Reply #479 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17 »

Looking at the top slow worm your spa is about to become a nursery ! :)

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
"A piece of pie", by Damon Runyon...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
Downloading "Kon Tiki" to read.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 18:35
by Yorkie
xx
Collecting "Non-sensitive" data

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2019, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 55 queries.