Automatic watering system for Tomatoes Peppers and Cucumbers

• 10 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
After reading another post about watering tomatoes peppers and cucumbers I am wondering how much water I should be giving mine.
We have an automatic watering system set up in our greenhouse which we have set to come on 3 times a day 8am 12 noon and 4pm for 4 mins at a time dripping into the outer part of the pots. Is this too much or not enough or enough lol What have others done with regards to the automatic system.

Ma x

IMG_0862.JPG
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 14:16 by Ma Lowe »

Auntiemogs

Re: Automatic watering system for Tomatoes Peppers and Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 16:54 »
I'm no expert Ma, and it depends on the flow through your drippers, but ours usually come on twice a day (7am and 7pm) for 10-15 minutes (adjusted according to how much they need really).  Watering at midday means that you may lose a lot of the water to evaporation due to the heat in the greenhouse. 
It may be worth putting one of the drippers in a pot to see how much comes out during the time they're on.
Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Yana

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 18:39 »
After reading another post about watering tomatoes peppers and cucumbers I am wondering how much water I should be giving mine.
We have an automatic watering system set up in our greenhouse which we have set to come on 3 times a day 8am 12 noon and 4pm for 4 mins at a time dripping into the outer part of the pots. Is this too much or not enough or enough lol What have others done with regards to the automatic system.

Ma x

The system looks amazing!  :) I am so jealous.
Can I ask what the grow bags are sitting on? Is it pebbles on a sealed base or are the pebbles on soil? Also, the brick path ...... Did you lay that yourself from individual bricks? Last question ...... How big is your greenhouse please?
Thankyou  :)
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 21:47 »
I too am jealous of the size of your greenhouse Ma Lowe.

I keep dreaming mine might grow a bit! :lol:

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:54 »
I'm no expert Ma, and it depends on the flow through your drippers, but ours usually come on twice a day (7am and 7pm) for 10-15 minutes (adjusted according to how much they need really).  Watering at midday means that you may lose a lot of the water to evaporation due to the heat in the greenhouse. 
It may be worth putting one of the drippers in a pot to see how much comes out during the time they're on.

Thank you Auntiemogs, I will get hubby to take off the miday watering and extend the other two.

Devonbarmygardener We started with an 8ft x 6ft greenhouse had it a year and decided it was not big enough so bought a bigger one best thing we did. ;)

Can I ask what the grow bags are sitting on? Is it pebbles on a sealed base or are the pebbles on soil? Also, the brick path ...... Did you lay that yourself from individual bricks? Last question ...... How big is your greenhouse please?

Yana the green house has cream gravel down the whole of one side and 1/3 of the other side at the top. The bricks were what edged the lawns before we rotivated it all up so we used them for the pathway and the greenhouse is 14ft x 8ft. :happy:

If you want to see how our garden has been transformed please read my diary here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57890.0

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 13:24 »
You have a fantastic garden there Ma!
Lovely. :happy:

Ma Lowe

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 13:47 »
You have a fantastic garden there Ma!
Lovely. :happy:

Thank you. We love it and spend a lot of time in it  :D

Yana

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:50 »

Thank you Auntiemogs, I will get hubby to take off the miday watering and extend the other two.

Devonbarmygardener We started with an 8ft x 6ft greenhouse had it a year and decided it was not big enough so bought a bigger one best thing we did. ;)

Yana the green house has cream gravel down the whole of one side and 1/3 of the other side at the top. The bricks were what edged the lawns before we rotivated it all up so we used them for the pathway and the greenhouse is 14ft x 8ft. :happy:

If you want to see how our garden has been transformed please read my diary here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57890.0

What am amazing transformation and so much hard work put in by your and your hubby. It is fantastic.

Ma Lowe

Thank you Yana. Sorry I didn't reply earlier I have been away.

The automatic watering system did its job whilst we were away and my tomatoes cucumber and peppers are all still looking good.  :D

Steveharford

Pleased to read that some of you use an automatic system.
As I need to ensure my toms etc are watered while away I am about to purchase an automatic system. The most widely sold kit appears to be hozelock which covers twenty pots. Before I leave to get it, would anyone recommend these ?

Ma Lowe

Pleased to read that some of you use an automatic system.
As I need to ensure my toms etc are watered while away I am about to purchase an automatic system. The most widely sold kit appears to be hozelock which covers twenty pots. Before I leave to get it, would anyone recommend these ?

Ours is not a Hozelock so I can't say how good /bad they are. My hubby bought everything separate and put it together himself. It works well and means the pressure is off to remember the watering all the time.

The timer is

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.