new to keeping chickens

• 12 Replies

jony worrall

new to keeping chickens
« on: May 11, 2011, 19:50 »
 :D hi there ive just built a hen house and run but not got the chickens yet,would really like some advise on what breeds of hens would be suitable for us and our two children as they really want to help as well,and if you could point me in the right direction to where to get some,would there be any problems on having the hens from an early age in the run it is a good size as my wife keeps telling me "do you think you have built that a bit big"also any help and advice on looking after the hens would be really helpfull.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:07 by noshed »
jony worrall

wayne*goodman

Re: new too keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 20:35 »
hello jonny, and welcome,
 i live not to far away from yourself and there are a number of local poultry sellers in the area, all of who will be able to give you good advice. you will enjoy keeping the girls and have hours of fun!!
i am also new to chicken keeping and are having fun and wish i had done it earlier.
and from this forum you will get invaluble advice as i have already done so.
enjoy it jonny i am sure you will ::) ;)
wayne.
enjoy life we are not here for long

jony worrall

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 21:06 »
hi wayne thanx for the welcome im really looking forward to keeping some chickens,nice to no im not the only onee thats new to keeping chickens,if you have any advice on the breeds that would be suitable to keep,when i was a little kid we used to have chickens and geese running around so it will bring good memorys back,thanx again and hope to here from you again                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  :nowink: :wacko:

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 21:34 »
Have you rat and fox proofed the area. I have wire dug into the ground to keep them out as well as something to cover the top as they can climb.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 00:17 »
Firstly, welcome to the forums and to this exciting new stage in your life.  You're in for a lot of fun and satisfaction.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a run that's too big!  The more space your chickens have, the happier they will be with places to dig and explore.

Thirdly, you will receive a lot of different advice on what breeds to get, but a good place to start is to think what you want them for.  Some of the bantam breeds make excellent pets but will often go 'broody' and you won't get a great egg supply.

There are lots of hybrid hens on the market that are designed to lay very heavily for the first year or so, then stop laying.  They have a shorter life expectancy than other types so if you want a long-lived pet you'd be better to go for a bantam or a traditional breed.

Personally I keep old-fashioned heavy breeds.  I chose them for their docile personalities, good egg laying ability, and an expectation of good health and a long life.  So far I have been delighted with them (although they are still too young to lay eggs).

You can also mix different breeds in one flock.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:31 »
Have you thought about bantam breeds for your children.  Bantam Wyandottes, Brahmas, Orpingtons or Pekins are cute, come in many different colours and are generally friendly and will generally tolerate being picked up and cuddled.  The downside is that they may be more difficult to find than hybrid egg layers, and they will probably not lay every day.

If you want the excitement of eggs every day, hybrid layers are your best bet.  ISA browns (Warrens) are your farmyard brown hen, but you can also get layers in different colours (white stars are based on leghorns, and are white, and will lay a white egg, but they can be rather flighty etc)

Then there is the choice of egg colour: white eggs (generaly come from a leghorn or leghorn-hybrid), brown eggs, dark brown eggs (from Marans or Welsummers) even blue eggs (from cream legbars (or from araucanas and their hybrids).

Welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of cheickeneering :D

bramford

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07 »
we have warrens and they are great, lay everyday and love following you round the garden  :) 

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34 »
I can't stop going on about my Australorp. She's a big bird, but beautiful, with lovely pale beige eggs. And gentle, so calm and docile. Hefty weight though, she's nearly 3 kilos  :wub:

But would definitely recommend them, the only difficulty is finding a breeder locally as they are not that common. I just don't understand why?  :unsure:
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01 »
We are also about to start keeping chickens (we also have children) and are starting to build the coop and run this weekend.
I have wanted some for years and have read up on a fair few breed though I've never kept any myself.
We have chosen to keep Orpingtons (Large Fowl), they are big with fluffy feathers, tend not to fly due to their size. They are quiet and very friendly too. The down or perhaps up side is that they do go broody, though we do not see this as a problem due to wanting to hatch eggs in the future. Orpingtons are not the best layers but still give 180-200 eggs a year which doesn't sound too bad to me.
From what I gather the Brahma's seem to be of a similar nature but lay slightly less eggs.
I have been to meet a few breeders and spent a little time with the hens, they do seem really lovely.
Hope that helps a little, let us know what you decide on getting.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:02 by JaK »

outercircle

Re: new to keeping chickens
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 13:45 »
Hello Jony - we got our hens last year from Wernlas, a rare breed place. For a small fee, you can have a look around (although I daren't go back again after popping in for a visit one time and coming back with three more hens...). They have lots of different breeds and are in a lovely place in Shropshire not far from you. It's a good way of seeing what's what and the people who run it are really helpful.

jony worrall

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 20:37 »
Hello Jony - we got our hens last year from Wernlas, a rare breed place. For a small fee, you can have a look around (although I daren't go back again after popping in for a visit one time and coming back with three more hens...). They have lots of different breeds and are in a lovely place in Shropshire not far from you. It's a good way of seeing what's what and the people who run it are really helpful.
[/  ]
     hi there thanks for the info i will take a trip to wernlas at the weekend make a morning off it with the little ones,you never no i might bring back a few hens back thank you again for your help :blush: :)                                                                                                                                                       

jony worrall

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 20:46 »
 :)
Firstly, welcome to the forums and to this exciting new stage in your life.  You're in for a lot of fun and satisfaction.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a run that's too big!  The more space your chickens have, the happier they will be with places to dig and explore.

Thirdly, you will receive a lot of different advice on what breeds to get, but a good place to start is to think what you want them for.  Some of the bantam breeds make excellent pets but will often go 'broody' and you won't get a great egg supply.

There are lots of hybrid hens on the market that are designed to lay very heavily for the first year or so, then stop laying.  They have a shorter life expectancy than other types so if you want a long-lived pet you'd be better to go for a bantam or a traditional breed.

Personally I keep old-fashioned heavy breeds.  I chose them for their docile personalities, good egg laying ability, and an expectation of good health and a long life.  So far I have been delighted with them (although they are still too young to lay eggs).

You can also mix different breeds in one flock.

thanks for the welcome really looking forward to looking around at the differant farms to see the diff hens ,would like a docile and friendly breed so my two children can handle them aswell they cant wait to help out[i hope with the cleaning out too] thanks again for your advice will keep you up to date when i do find the right hens for us. :)

toasted

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12 »
ive just got 3 warrens locally to get me started and they are very tame and calm birds, il be getting a few other breeds from cyril bason which is the same area as wernlas but they only do hybrids and they are nicely priced plus they have a good rep and 6 week guarantee so worth a look

xx
how do i go about keeping chickens?

Started by drmoonshine on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 23:29
by hillfooter
xx
Keeping chickens on tv

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 17, 2008, 09:55
by Selkie
xx
new to keeping chickens

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 11:26
by matilda duck
xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 36 queries.