Hose pipe ban help

• 22 Replies

Grubbypaws

Hose pipe ban help
« on: July 17, 2018, 18:02 »
My raised beds, potatoes and courgettes are quite a long way from my tap. I currently have a section of old hosepipe in situ so that I can  fill my watering cans closer to where they are needed. I never use it as a hosepipe as such.

If/when my area gets a hosepipe ban can I continue to use this method to fill my watering cans;  it saves a lot of lifting and carrying  :(

snowdrops

Re: Hose pipe ban help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 21:45 »
No is the short answer ☹️
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 23:18 »
I seem to remember that you were allowed to fill a water butt/barrel/tank with a hose, and then fill the watering can from that. Maybe time to go buy a blue barrel?

The rules are here
https://www.unitedutilities.com/emergencies/hosepipe-ban-on-the-way2/

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:14 »
The rules are here
https://www.unitedutilities.com/emergencies/hosepipe-ban-on-the-way2/
According to these rules I am not allowed to water a garden and/or plants using a hosepipe but I am allowed to use tap water to fill a bucket or watering can.

The question is can I use a short length of hosepipe ti fill a watering can with tap water?

:unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:43 »
According to the link (under FAQ's: household customers) the ban does not apply to vegetable gardens and allotments (I've read it 3 times and am still surprised, so I've attached the relevant page here.)
Fullscreen capture 18072018 094037.jpg
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 11:05 »
According to the link (under FAQ's: household customers) the ban does not apply to vegetable gardens and allotments (I've read it 3 times and am still surprised, so I've attached the relevant page here.)

Wow! Thank you for this JayG  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09 »
Are you allowed to fill the garden pond with fish in ?  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19 »
Hosepipe bans just stop you applying water directly onto the soil with the hose, so yes you can use the hose to fill watering cans, water butts, barrels or buckets or whatever Grubbypaws.  If the ban excludes veg gardens as per the link JayG has posted, all the better  :)

Animal welfare stuff like hosing down kennels and the like are also OK Mrs B, but fresh tap water is not good for your pond or your fish.  You are better filling something else and letting the water stand for 48 hours to let the chlorine evaporate.  I fill the water butt with the hose and then top my wildlife pond up from there  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 13:13 »
According to these rules I am not allowed to water a garden and/or plants using a hosepipe but I am allowed to use tap water to fill a bucket or watering can.

The question is can I use a short length of hosepipe ti fill a watering can with tap water?

:unsure:
[/quote]
Personally I would have said yes because it's only an extension to a tap, so is just being used as a way of transporting water to a container, not as an actual hosepipe itself which uses much more water.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 15:48 »
JayG is correct, we have contacted UU and they have clarified an allotment does not come under the domestic ban, however as a site we will introduce a hose pipe ban as in using a hosepipe to water, we are permitting to fill water butts, watering cans via a hose and those who are less mobile may use the hosepipe to fill they cans nearer the veg it self, the idea is less water is used and it is more direct.
Your site may adapt a similar policy to ours.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 15:50 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 16:03 »
We already run under the 'no hosepipes except to fill water butts' rule, because water charges across the borough were getting horrendous, and no one wanted to pay extra for water usage.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 16:31 »
We already run under the 'no hosepipes except to fill water butts' rule, because water charges across the borough were getting horrendous, and no one wanted to pay extra for water usage.
Wish ours would but too many grumpy older  ;) men

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 17:21 »
I sometimes wonder just how much I need to water my raised beds. Some plants are thriving at the moment and I haven't watered them for a while, their roots must've gone down and found some.

I reckon everyone over waters some times. If a plant is wilting in a bed I'll help it out yet eventually it's roots will (hopefully) sort it out. My courgette plants and knocking out a lot of courgettes and I water them once a week. I've got deep raised beds and my soil is good so the latter helps enormously I guess.

My spud crops aren't as big as usual yet I'll not starve.

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 17:25 »
I was always under the impression that a hosepipe ban didn't apply to vegetable gardens, as they are classed as agricultural and not ornamental.  It was always the case in the past, but I wasn't sure if it still applied, so thanks for the info.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 19:21 »

Well, that's a life saver for many folk for sure!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
hose pipe ban?

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

155 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 04:07
by Auntiemogs
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 53 queries.