Porridge and bits...

• 15 Replies

Growster...

Porridge and bits...
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:37 »
Lillileaf has started a post about the qualities of peanut butter, and this was also mentioned some time ago, when even Nutella was plonked in as well, as the general consensus was that a digestive biscuit was well improved by such a delicacy!

But hey, it's porridge season now and Comfreypatch mentions putting a spoonful in as well! Wow, that sounds fabulous, I've never thought of that one!

Here's our 'additives' - sultanas and flaked almonds, as well as salt and butter of course!

What's yours?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Porridge and bits...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35 »
I have grated apple, a pinch of cinnamon plus a little honey if the apple isn't a sweet variety, in my parritch!

(sorry I've been overdosing on Outlander  :lol: :lol: :lol: )

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:38 »
Today’s bowl had 5 prunes,chopped, 6 walnuts,broken a spoonful of plain live yogurt & a sprinkle of chia & seeds on top, made with coconut milk.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21 »
Ha ha ha, Mum, you are really Mrs Fitzgibbon, and I claim my five Scottish Pounds!

Like the idea of cinnamon too, have you tried ginger? (I haven't mind you).

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24 »
Now that's a splendid mix, Snows!

I have to confess that due to the vagaries of our electric rings, we use a microwave mix, but it's done in a few minutes, and also heats up the sultanas so they burn your face off...

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53 »
A warning about cinnamon abuse , users get to need more and more ! :)

Had slices of crystalised ginger in the porridge many times !
I have a tub of crystallised ginger secreted in the kitchen for emergency sugar fixes when there are no sweets or biscuits in the house.

I kid myself it's really healthy ! :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04 »
quarter up to half a teaspoon of ground cardamom seeds in the mix at the start and a really light dusting of fresh grated nutmeg on serving.   Decadence in a breakfast bowl.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Kate58

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 19:37 »
We use Stringers organic oats bought from the farm shop or farmers market. Always made in a pan, on the stove using whole milk - never water - plus a pinch of salt.  Served in our house with golden syrup!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28 »
I used to have a dollop of homemade red jam in ours - usually Damson - but recently I ran out of the blended porridge I usually buy so raided the cupboard for medium rolled oats that were reserved for crumble toppings and added an equal amount of rolled barley flakes. It was so wonderful that all our porridge is now served nekkid... with a tiny bit of salt.

madcat

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 11:55 »
Brown sugar (preferably muscovado) and milk ....  Comfort for cold mornings.  I'm the only one who likes porridge here, so don't often get it.   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:29 »
Jumbo oats with half milk (full fat), half water and a pinch of salt for me.  Then a good sprinkle of brown sugar and some evaporated milk.  :tongue2:
When I was working I used to make enough for several days, and mix in some sultanas or chopped apricots before tubbing up and popping in the fridge.  The fruit swells up and adds sweetness and flavour - lovely!
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 20:13 »
Sugar's verboten sadly, but I keep eyeing the dried apricots, Auntie...

Currently (pun not intended), I'm onto almonds, sultanas and walnuts, and with full-fat milk.

Mrs Growster has the Mother of colds with the worst cough ever, and she just needs building up, so that's tomorrow sorted...

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33 »
Mines never the same as i throw my end of bag bits at it .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 14:34 »
I live on porridge!   :)   Made in a pan with water. My additions are now down to nowt, with the exception perhaps,of three ready to eat prunes 

I am weaning myself off sugary stuff.  My great nephew is just a tot but he never has sweetener of any kind on his porridge and has told me off  If he can 😁

Speaking of oats and it’s versatility in general, over to the bread thread

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 18:12 »
The latest addition is sugar-free granola, and some of the Christmas mixed dried fruit which only appears about now...

Mrs Growster is now addicted to baked apples, but not for breakfast, so sultanas get used up there instead.

(Me? I still yearn for the crusty cheese rolls I'd buy before work near St James' Park, London in 1969...).

But porridge is a delicacy best served hot!

(Just to be a smuggit, the guy who started selling porridge through his old company, Pret a Manger, was a client of me and my business partner, and we did quite a lot of searching for sites for him for several years, with a regular retainer. Nice guy too - always paid on the nose).

xx
Porridge

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2023, 07:45
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.