Parsnips I知 heartbroken!

• 28 Replies

logi06

Parsnips I知 heartbroken!
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:35 »
I removed as many stones as possible and turned soil over a few times in my raised beds before I plants seeds.
Thus is the fourth year I have tried these. I don稚 know what else to try
BAEA7ADF-0343-46D1-B4E9-9B1AA3D30E0C.jpeg

gstrong

Re: Parsnips I知 heartbroken!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 13:14 »
Hello, I had carrots that went a similar way this year in a new raised planter. I was told it was probably because the soil was too rich for them.
I'm just starting out so probably getting lots wrong, but gotta start somewhere :-)
20170630_182956.jpg

logi06

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 13:17 »
Thanks I have not changed the soil in four years, it痴 so frustrating
I may give up on parsnips,

Christine

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 14:45 »
This year a lot of us up here have had problems with parsnips. Everything from not germinating at all to not growing much. Perhaps you are one of us who have had problems.

arh

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 15:54 »
My advice, (for what it's worth), is to sow the seed in richie paper pots, about 2" in diameter, (a neutadol spray can is what I used), make it approx 6" in length. when the true leaves show put it in the plot, pot and all, don't wait too long as the root grows at an alarming rate. All my parsnips came good this year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 17:57 »
I removed as many stones as possible and turned soil over a few times in my raised beds before I plants seeds.
Thus is the fourth year I have tried these. I don稚 know what else to try

How deep are your raised beds?

Is there a base lining?

What is underneath the beds?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32 »
For next year you might want to consider Imperial Crown. I've got heavy clay soil with some stones and these are like tunnelers, about 3inch across at the crown and seem to have pushed past stones. Countess on the other hand have been thin and fork at anything more than a pinhead.

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 18:50 »
Sowing/planting into dibbed foot deep holes filled with fine compost is the only way I have ever discovered to get a 90% fork free parsnip bed, and that's befor I even talk about dry or wet beds. Interesting to hear above that the odd variety might be a bit more determined.
It's a bit of a nuisance at planting time, but it really doesn't take much time. They're fine big vegetables and deserve as much care as a cabbage. Carrots are different in my mind and I'm happy with 60% of them out of doors.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 18:53 by victoria park »

jcbuz1970

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 19:52 »
Apologies gstrong but I laughed so hard at the pic of your carrot, I am an adult honestly but found it so amusing.

Small things please small minds I guess  :tongue2:

Not had my lotty long and going to try carrots and parsnips next year so come sept\oct I probably won't post much because i'll be on my back in my lotty in fits of laughter at my attempts, pics to follow...

jambop

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 20:18 »
Someone on the site suggested a method for growing carrots, which I am going to try next year, which may well work for parsnips too. What they suggested was to prep the soil and then put the string line down where you want to grow your crop then take a spade and put it in to the top of the spit rock back and forth to create a V shaped trench all along the line then back fill with a mix of fine compost or peat and builders sand. You then sow the seeds onto the centre of this mix cover lightly with the growing medium using a sieve and grow them.... sound like it will work the person said they get great carrots so why not parsnips ?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 20:33 »
It was my 4th sowing of the season before I got good germination of parsnips. I didn't expect too much from the April sowings but was starting to get depressed when nothing was showing after two May sowings. It was my desperate end of May effort that was successful and we now have a great crop that'll last until spring

Marston

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 13:21 »
I have also not had good results and poor germination. Last week I did some research and found out that the seeds do not keep and you should not use seed more than a year old . In addition they will not germinate below 10C which means for most of us not before mid to end May. I also did not know that they are biennials and if left in the ground will flower the following year producing the seed that you need for your next crop. So I will make sure that I buy seed packed in 2017 for next year and plant no sooner than mid May.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 13:39 »
This is the first year I ever had any issues with germinating parsnip seed: it usually comes up like mustard and cress, but this year, three sowings before I even reached double figures  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I have been told it could be due to a sudden cold snap as soon as the seedlings popped out of the seed case killing them off.

I just hope that those leaves actually lead to decent roots, or we shall be buying some for festive meals for the first time in many years

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 19:53 »
Definitely a bad year for germination here too, but at least earlier sowings give quite a wide window for more seed if the first batch suffer. As seeds rarely carry over for a year, it's no loss to keep on sowing. It's the long germination period that is the most frustrating

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 01:16 »
Someone on the site suggested a method for growing carrots, which I am going to try next year, which may well work for parsnips too. What they suggested was to prep the soil and then put the string line down where you want to grow your crop then take a spade and put it in to the top of the spit rock back and forth to create a V shaped trench all along the line then back fill with a mix of fine compost or peat and builders sand. You then sow the seeds onto the centre of this mix cover lightly with the growing medium using a sieve and grow them.... sound like it will work the person said they get great carrots so why not parsnips ?

That's exactly what I did this year as the bed for my snips this year was quite heavy still. I've got a good batch of Gladiator, all around 6-9 inches long so far that I've pulled.
As other's have said though, it's not been a great year for Parsnips, I had to make two sowings and other people at our site have got none this year. A few people had issues with their carrots too.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by flimbin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 21:32
by sunshineband
xx
parsnips

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 15:33
by JayG
xx
Parsnips

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 22:56
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 39 queries.