Do cucumbers get worn out?

• 7 Replies

EssexPete

Do cucumbers get worn out?
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:24 »
I'm a novice cucumber grower.
I've got a Cucino in a 22L pot in my greenhouse. It's grown up the netting and across the width of the greenhouse.
I picked the first Cue on 15th June and since then I've had 251 cucumbers from the one plant
But for the last week the plant looks tired and there are no flowers or baby cucumbers forming.
Is that usual?
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do cucumbers get worn out?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:06 »
It has done really well, already, don't you think  :lol:
It could probably do with a good feed and a soak (preferably with rain water) which might just get it going again. Seaweed feed is good at times like these.

EssexPete

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:47 »
Thanks mumofstig - I think it's done amazingly well - overwhelmed with cucumbers - the neighbours are glad to have a rest from them :) That's why I was wondering if it's exhausted and dying. It's only my 2nd year growing them.
I feed it weekly with Miracle-grow (as advised elsewhere on this forum) and just about everything gets seaweed extract every 10ish days. Rain water has been in short supply until a couple of days ago - I've now got about 800 litres of the stuff - hooray!
There's no new growth and the leaves are looking 'autumnal'

madcat

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 17:40 »
I'm green with envy!  You are doing amazing .... Wow. (Mine took one look at the hot days and decided flowering was not its thing.  Two cucumbers was its lot, and it has sat there ever since.....  Miracle Gro, shading, sun, water, swearing ...  Nope.  )
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

EssexPete

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 18:13 »
Ha-ha - thanks!!
Here's a pic from mid July when we were all getting fed up trying to think what else to have with cucumbers :)
For some reason I assumed they would go on producing 00's of fruits until the frosts! I guess that was expecting a bit much.
I sowed this year's seed on 14 Apr, next year I'll sow one a bit earlier and another in May, so hopefully when the first is done by end July, i can oik it out and start the next one up the trellis... that's the plan....
P1030086.JPG
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 18:43 by EssexPete »

meriad

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 15:19 »
Wow, that's incredible.  Mine is doing OK and I'm getting enough off it to feed myself and my brother and his family.

Curious about the netting you have up for it - is that attached to the roof?

EssexPete

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 15:36 »
Yes, it's the stiff plastic clematis netting - I got it from Amazon. The pot sits on one end of it then it runs up to the eaves and across the width of the g/h. It's tied up in multiple places and has worked well.

Afraid to say though I think the plant has had it. All the leaves are yellowing now and it's looking rather sad.
I'll give it a few more days out of respect for its performance - there are 5 more cues still on it, so that'd make a total of - 256
Not bad from a single seed  :)
It'll take some beating next year, but I'll try

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 17:02 »
Have you checked for red spider mite? These make the leaves fade and the whole plant dies. Seems to be worse in a dry atmosphere, so spraying with water regularly can keep it at bay.

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
cucumbers

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 19:56
by Trillium
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 21:11
by Growster...
xx
Cucumbers doing what they do best...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 22, 2017, 18:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 48 queries.