early spuds

• 16 Replies

noshed

early spuds
« on: June 10, 2006, 21:10 »
My Swifts were looking a bit sick today so I had a dig - slugs aargh! So I dug the lot up (still have Duke of Yorks and Jersey Royals). Quite a poor crop really but the actual spuds look fine.
Any ideas what to put in next? - I'm tempted to shove some runner beans in. And there's no such thing as a glut of beans in our house.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
early spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 22:49 »
Sorry about your spuds noshed.  But yes, why not some runner beans?  After all, they say end of May if you put them straight in the ground, and its only 10th june, what aout successional carrots and stuff too???  or would that upset your crop rotation????

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
early spuds
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 01:27 »
Leeks are often a follow on for earlies or you could pop some dwarf or climbing French beans.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
early spuds
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 16:07 »
hm i thought brassicas go in after spuds. That's how I'm working mine. Even a large crop of summer radishes wouldn't go wrong. I'm putting kale and winter radishes in after my spuds for the winter.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

comic_muse

early spuds
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 17:44 »
Leeks....
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

noshed

early spuds
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 18:21 »
Thanks everyone - I've put in White Lady runners and three cucumbers - i'll post a pic soon. The other spuds seem to be OK so I've  watered them with comfrey tea - pew!
A hot day on the plot.
Thank goodness there's football on the tele...

noshed

early spuds
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 18:23 »
Forgot to say thanks to grannieannie for the comfrey - it's doing really well

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
early spuds
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 20:33 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
hm i thought brassicas go in after spuds. That's how I'm working mine. Even a large crop of summer radishes wouldn't go wrong. I'm putting kale and winter radishes in after my spuds for the winter.

Brassicas like lime but potatoes don't  so you should lime inbetween. Some say brassicas after potatoes and other beans. But we're really talking about a catch crop rather than rotation.

GrannieAnnie

early spuds
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 22:02 »
Hi noshed, pleased your comfrey is doing well.  My first one is quite high now, over 4ft tall and is leaning on my rosemary, so I chopped a bit off to put under some courgettes that weren't doing too well.  They were 3 left overs, so I put them in the polytunnel, they didn't seem to like the heat, curled up doing the day and opened up at night, but the ones outside don't do that, so I dug them up, put them on a nice bed of shredded paper, comfrey leaves, then plenty of compost in a big trough, tonight they looked much happier.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
early spuds
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 22:20 »
i dug up 6 of my potato plants yesterday and got a fair sized bag of lovely new potatos, this is my first substantial crop of anything ever. they were absolutely delicious. in there place i have planted my chillie plants out .

GrannieAnnie

early spuds
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 23:00 »
There's nothing like lovely freshly dug potatoes is there twysted1??  The ones I dug out today were one I'd put in a pot and kept in the greenhouse til the weather got a bit better, hoping to get some a bit early, and the other one was a rogue that I missed last year that was growing near my runner beans, so not touched my proper crop yet!!  I think its a bit early for them.

dotcom123456

looking for some guideance
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 23:36 »
i have quite a large back communal garden and i have just claimed a spot to grow organic veg,where do i start?what is best to start with?also there is a large compost bin with what looks like good quality compost but is full of GIANT white slugs are these ok?please help?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
early spuds
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 00:55 »
Giant white slugs!! Good meal for ya there, Twysted :)
Seriously, never come across white slugs - are you sure that's what they are?
As for what to grow - bearing in mind the time of year - you could get some french and runner beans going.  If you like them that is. How big a piece of land, how many people do you want to grow for? What's it like? Overgrown? Shaded? What's the soil like?

dotcom123456

early spuds
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 18:45 »
john cheers for the reply the area is north facing so it gets sunshine from morning  to afternoon,the soil is of good quality light and airy,and im looking to grow for about 6 people in an area of around 6Sqm.as for the white slugs im sure thats what they are, a neighbour said they are white because they never see daylight...? also are potatoes best for your first grow(batch) thanks brian. :

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
early spuds
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 19:34 »
Quote from: "dotcom123456"
john cheers for the reply the area is north facing so it gets sunshine from morning  to afternoon,the soil is of good quality light and airy,and im looking to grow for about 6 people in an area of around 6Sqm.as for the white slugs im sure thats what they are, a neighbour said they are white because they never see daylight...? also are potatoes best for your first grow(batch) thanks brian. :

Hi Brian
6 (SIX) sq mtr isn't much space, especially for 6 people so I'd suggest you concentrate on high value for space.  Climbing beans are great in that you can get loads from little square footage, because they are vertical. Really concentrate on quality - you're not going to feed everyone but you can provide some real treats. Lovely early carrots with the young ones raw in salads.  Peas (climbers too) and mangetout, salad crops. I plant radish and spring onions in close rows. Don't forget to successional sow, every couple of weeks for those. You can get selections of cut and come again salads - Italian or French salads. I thing you could supply 6 people from a 2 metre by 300 mm row of that. Use cloches to extend your season as well,

Try and find a source of rotted horse manure (even cities often have stables) and see if you can get one of those dustbin shaped compost bins. Maybe sneak some extra space by explaining to everyone who shares the garden how they are being green by recycling their green waste into improving the garden rather than landfill.

We have 3 bins in our kitchen - one for compostable, one for recycles (cardboard, tins and plastic bottles) and one for rubbish. Plus glass goes to the bank so I'm proud to say our rubbish bin is the least volume now.

Don't put meat wastes or fats into the compost bin though.

Whereabouts are you?

xx
First early, no spuds yet

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 14:55
by Iain@JBA
xx
first early spuds

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
2nd Early Spuds

Started by Bluebell007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:57
by Bluebell007
xx
Early spuds

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 21:18
by engineer

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.