Beer on the compost heap

• 9 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
Beer on the compost heap
« on: June 09, 2006, 15:38 »
I brewed 5 gallons of beer, fermented and put in a barrell.

Next day I found there was a tiny hole in the barrel which means the beer will be ruined.

Is it a good idea to pour it on the compost, its about 4% alcohol?

I don't want to pour it down the drain and don't need 5 gallons worth of slug traps.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 16:02 »
Not really sure - recycled beer (pee) is good for the heap  but I think the alcohol might have a bad effect on the microbes.

I don't think I'd risk it. Sorry.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 18:23 »
Then I won't risk it, although at least the microbes would go out happy.

Think I'll keep a lot of it for slug traps. Pity I can't think of a use for the 5 galon leaky barrel.

stompy

Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 18:46 »
Can't you buy a roto keg an gas it back up  :?:

Jake

• Rockers
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 19:00 »
I don't know what a roto keg is but sadly the hole was somewhere in the bottom of the barrel so wasn't letting air out but beer. bacteria will almost certainly have got in and trust me, you don't want to drink it when that happens. Might taste ok, depending on the germ (could turn to vinegar) but next day you just don't want to know. for £6 + my time its worth not taking the risk.

Nice thought though. I usually use bottles and I'll be back to doing that I think.

stompy

Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 20:02 »
I make my own beer too, usualy from a kit, i would like to make it from raw ingrediants but they are too hard to come by and are too expensive :x

I also make my own wine, my favourite is bramble, its fantastic, but i never leave it long enough to mature. :D

I'v kept one bottle from last year but it took a lot of will power, all the other years productions have gone after about 8 months. :oops:

I will also be trying rubarb wine this year as well as the bramble and the rosehip. :wink:

Forgot to mention the rosehip wine, more like a dry sherry than a wine, realy nice though.

(Maybe this post should have been in the recipes forum)  :?

ladybird

Beer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 22:48 »
Beer makes a very good liquid feed, especially for tomatoes and runner beans, and an excellent lawn tonic, Water down 10-1.
Please don't put such good stuff down the sink!
I took over an allotment  approx 2 1/2 years ago on my retirement. Although I find that time is at a premium,  I realy enjoy spending as much time as I can at the allotment..--JUDY

Jake

• Rockers
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 23:41 »
Quote from: "stompy"
I make my own beer too, usualy from a kit, i would like to make it from raw ingrediants but they are too hard to come by and are too expensive :x

I also make my own wine, my favourite is bramble, its fantastic, but i never leave it long enough to mature. :D

I'v kept one bottle from last year but it took a lot of will power, all the other years productions have gone after about 8 months. :oops:

I will also be trying rubarb wine this year as well as the bramble and the rosehip. :wink:

Forgot to mention the rosehip wine, more like a dry sherry than a wine, realy nice though.

(Maybe this post should have been in the recipes forum)  :?

Actually stompy, I've not made beer from scratch either but my dad has and I watched him do it. Its not that expensive if you beg and borrow. You can often find hops from roadside verges or in small woodlands (I'm not saying my dad did this, he bought them, but I've seen them growing wild) and you can get malted barley from the local brewery, I've not tried this either but so much goes to waste it must be true. Malting your own barley looks technical so I will be asking Whitbread this year and will let you know what they say.

Beer makes a very good liquid feed, especially for tomatoes and runner beans, and an excellent lawn tonic, Water down 10-1.
Please don't put such good stuff down the sink!

Ladybird thats a good point, I never thought to dilute it.

Its late I know, just back from a night out. gosh I'm a geek at times.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 16:03 »
Can't you plug the leak in the barrel Jake and use it for your comfrey liquid fertilizer??

Jake

• Rockers
Beer on the compost heap
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 16:07 »
Now there's a thought, I don't like throwing things away, bit of a Mr Trebus on that score. The leak is so tiny that it will be hard to find. I do have some silcon paste though. Good call grannieannie.

xx
Compost heap help

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:53
by Plot74
xx
compost heap

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 12:35
by harry
xx
Compost Heap

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 21:53
by compostqueen
xx
Compost Heap

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:22
by JayG

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.