merry tiller help

• 3 Replies

nick1854

merry tiller help
« on: October 09, 2011, 17:04 »
I have just managed to get my merry tiller (marked as a Titan) running after it stood neglected outside for several years. Everything was seized on it, including the piston, but now it runs. I stupidly didn't make a record of the carburettor/governor connections and can't work out how to fit it back together. It has a 3hp Briggs engine (80202) with the pulsa jet carb. The bits I am left with include a rotten spring (that I think connects the governor vane to the carb) and 2 rod linkages. I am also not sure how the throttle cable fits on, would it run up between the fuel tank and the starter housing? When I look at diagrams of this set-up there seem to be so many variations I just get confused! I am also confused that most people who have a Titan say it has a 5hp engine, yet this has a 3HP......but it does have the adjustable handles. Please help.....

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: merry tiller help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:16 »
If your machine is a Titan it will have a stepped double pulley on both the engine and chaincase. Very early Titans had a 4hp B & S engine and both Clinton and Kohler engines were listed, but from circa 1966 to 1990 all Titans had a 5hp B & S engine. Post 1965 Professionals had the same handlebars as the Titan and they became an extra cost option on Majors at this time. After the 1978 redesign all Merry Tillers used the same handles except for the lightweight Cadet/Wizard range.

Anyway that still does not help refit your carb links. The drawing attached shows a late pulsa-jet carb but earlier slide choke models have the same throttle links. The pigtail rod goes from the governor flap to the butterfly lever shown. The spring goes between the bell crank shown and the loop of the pigtail. As you stated there are several ways of making the bell crank move to increase or decrease revs. On Majors, Wolseley used a cable with the “outer” clamped to the bracket under the tank and the “inner” to the left hand arm of the bell crank. On the Wizard however, the outer was clamped to the carb casting near the choke and the inner to the right hand arm of the bell crank. Some models have another rod going from the left hand arm to another bell crank under the tank, the cable could be attached to this.
Carb.jpg
R Tallentire

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27 »
Sorry folks, I have just re-read my posting and have got right and left mixed up, The inner cable on Majors goes to the right hand arm, on the Wizard it goes on the left one and the rod, if fitted goes from the right hand arm to a crank under the tank.

nick1854

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 17:11 »
Thanks so much for that response, it is really helpful. I hadn't realised that the loop on the control rod could be used to attach a control spring......obvious when you see a picture. I will have another go....

So the machine is marked as a Wolsey Titan on the handlebar plate, but has a single pulley. I bought a 50" belt for it, but it looks like it needs a 48". The clutch control is mounted on the right, throttle control on the left. I wonder if bits of several machines have been cobbled together to make one good one?

I had another setback yesterday when the fuel tank started to leak. I managed to source a second-hand one, making the cost of restoration creep up....but I am learning loads. The tank came with its original pulsa jet carb, which had yet another variation on the linkage setup.

Hope to get it working on Friday.

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry tiller ?

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 08:54
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Merry Tiller Help

Started by peterryall on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 05:46
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller

Started by D Wilson on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 18:50
by D Wilson

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.