Sowing Parsnips - in May?

• 15 Replies

Spr0ut

Sowing Parsnips - in May?
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:39 »
A well known seed company tells us in its newsletter that now is the time to sow parsnips - May? Really? so not February indoors then?

Anyone else wait this long to sow the "inch per station" method of parsnip sowing outside?

If it makes sense it would give me a bit linger to prepare ground outside rather than faffing around with toilet rolls and chitting seeds.

Fisherman

Re: Sowing Parsnips - in May?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:14 »
Parsnips will be fine sown in early May. I sow them at the end of April every year and get good sized roots. Germination will be better now that the soil is warming up.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25 »
Usually 'station sow' mine direct into the soil in the last week of April, but for a variety of reasons, including the recent colder spell, and the fact that this year's bed is slightly shaded so slower to warm up, I shall be sowing them sometime during the coming week.

Traditionally, parsnips were one of the first crops to be sown outdoors, but that almost inevitably means a very long, nervous wait wondering whether any of the weeds are actually parsnip seedlings (another reason to station sow - you have at least some chance of spotting the difference!)

Reminder of the Seed Germination Soil Temperature chart:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:37 »
Why anyone faffs about sowing parsnips in loo rolls has always been a puzzle to me.

When you sow them put a pinch of 5/6 seeds at every station, about 4 or 5 inches between. Single when big enough to handle but do not leave it too long.

As an alternative just sprinkle the whole packet along the furrow and thin out the seedlings.

Seed is cheap and parsnip seed will not keep for next year so little point in having half a packet left over.

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42 »
You've convinced me. No more loo rolls. Actually the ones I station sowed about three weeks ago are coming through and have caught up with my loo roll transplants.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:11 »
I no longer sow parsnips before May.  I had terrible problems with germination when I sowed earlier, unless I resorted to the loo roll method.  However, if i wait until the first week in May to sow I have no problem.

The same applies to sowing carrots too, first week in May, not earlier.   

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:43 »
I never sow parsnips in loo rolls either.  Normally I'm okay with outdoor sowings in April, but neither my carrots nor parsnips have germinated yet in 4 weeks! Will have to do them again I think!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59 »
I sowed mine this week.  The variety was Gladiator, which I noticed says on the seed packet should be sown April / May.  Even with other varieties I've never sown in Feb / Mar - the soil is too wet and cold up here.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 13:28 »
Station sown on 13th April, they were well through by 1st May, didn't see the day they first emerged as I was away from home.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 14:44 »
Sown in pots/loo rolls in Feb/march means you can have parsnips by the end of August. I already have a few with the greens a foot tall. Can't wait. I don't notice that much difference in the taste waiting for a frost, more a question of maturity and variety used.
I also plant some more last week of April/first week of May direct to see me through the Winter. They germinate well this time of year.
I don't really have a problem identifying parsnip seedlings amongst weeds as they are quite distinctive. They stand out in a crowd.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 14:45 by beesrus »

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 15:24 »
Just come back from the Lottie & my first sowings of parsnips for this year, haven't had time or the ground prepared before. 4 short rows (5") of The Student bought at Heligan last year. Got some Tender & True to sow tomorrow. I've got a large packet from Moles 25gms not sure whether to save them for next year,unopened, or to use the 2 small pkts I came across the other day. How many rows would I get from the 25g pkt?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 19:05 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 15:49 »
Being very generous with a pinch, at 8" spacing I got two 32' rows from one packet of 25g Moles seeds.

Just re-winding a bit, I sow parsnips for a late crop only. There's plenty of other stuff around in August!

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 16:14 »
Interesting. None of my parsnip seeds sown direct germinated - must have sown about 300 seeds. Have just bought yet another packet and was thinking of starting them off in deep paper pots (moulded round something about like a hair spray can). But might try them direct, again...

beesrus

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 17:05 »
That can happen with direct sowings Snoop. Parsnips can be fussy, whereas in pots they are fine. I had 80% germination in pots this year with last year's left over seed. Three to a pot should see you with all pots viable.

My netted direct row as usual had some bald patches with this year's seed, and can only assume it was some micro soil drying out, or slugs having a party, hence I do both methods.
If I were you Snoop, hedge your bets, try half and half as you will be running out of time soon. Just make sure when they germinate in your paper pots, that you plant them out toute suite, within 2 or 3 days. And make sure the direct sown seeds don't dry out, they don't like that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 17:08 by beesrus »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 18:06 »
This lack of germination always makes me chuckle. Three years ago I let one parsnip plant flower and produce seed, which, when sown, produced a very variable crop) as I ad been warned of course.

Seeds are still germinating all over the place, including in my woodchip path --old seed now, stored badly as under water in flooded ground for a while this winter, and hardly well cared for  :lol: :lol:

The ones sown this year (nice new seed - Panache) are just starting to show their heads after fifteen days, despite several days with very dry conditions.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
sowing parsnips

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2019, 12:24
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
sowing parsnips in may

Started by myplot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 16:25
by sunshineband
xx
Re-sowing of parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:10
by Steveharford
xx
Too late for sowing parsnips?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 22:45
by Soggy bottom

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 37 queries.