Very Sick Hen, Advice please

• 8 Replies

twins

Very Sick Hen, Advice please
« on: May 06, 2013, 14:15 »
Hi

I have a very sick hen and not sure what to do,

Background
she went into moult last Oct and hasn't laid since but lovely new feathers came back. The past week we have noticed she had very sticky poo arround her bottom. We cleaned it away but it came back. Last couple of days she has been drinking a lot, not eating much. Yesterday watery diarrhea, just sitting humped up, like she had no energy to move, walked ver slowly. Got up this morning thinking she would have passed away but no she's still with us. but her bed had bright green poo. She got up, stumbled a bit went a short walk, took a drink but nothing to eat. She really looks unwell. She has been wormed just a month ago. I really don't think she's going to make it. can't afford to go to a vet and not sure if they would be any help. We only have 2 hens left and they are like part of the family.

Any advice would be great

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Very Sick Hen, Advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 14:28 »
Welcome to the site twins.  Sorry your hen is poorly.  Have a look at the poo thread to see if you can identify what hers is like LINK

What did you worm your hens with as most are herbal and more a preventative.  You need to use flubenvet to get rid of worms and even then you sometimes need to do a second treatment for bad infestation. 

How old is your hen and what breed?  Some hybrids that are bred for egg laying only last for a few years.

Check to see if she has any lumps or bumps that shouldn't be there.  Also check her crop is not blocked or that she doesn't have sour crop.  Information HERE

If she is poorly and suffering you should really dispatch her if you can't afford to take her to the vets.  Sorry, I know it is not what you would want to hear but sometimes it has to be done.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

twins

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 14:51 »
Hi
Thanks for replying. Yes I think she is a hybrid cross between an isa brown and something else. Yesterday's poo was yellow water diarrhea, this morning in her box was the bright green poo which i know is probably a sign she has nothing left because she's not eating.
I just don't think our local vets would deal with hens or be very sympathetic!
We did get worming stuff from a vet last year but I'm not sure what it was - will check the bottle when I get home.
When you stay dispatching I presume you mean killing?? I really don't think I or my husband could do it. We have become so attached to the hens. in some ways I just wish she would slip away in her sleep if she's not going to make it. Or if there is something we can try to see if we can give her a chance.
If a hybrid is coming to the end of their life how would they normally die?

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 16:03 »
They can die of all sorts of things, kidney failure, heart attack etc just like us.  If she is starving it will be very slow and not nice for her.  There is a list of poultry friendly vets HERE

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 16:09 »
My Silkie cockerel had bright green poo, and he died very quickly after it.  When I googled the colour, it said that it could be due to poisoning.  Is there any possibility she has eaten a mouse that was poisoned?

Like ANHBUC said, if she is really bad, she needs culling.  Yes I know it sounds harsh, but if you really love your chooks, then you need to do what's best for them, not what's make you happy.  Even though she doesn't show it, she will be suffering.  They hide it because in the wild, they hide illness from predators, because if a predator sees a weak animal, it will kill it.

Have you a got a friend or family that would do the deed for you?  But if you are going to keep chickens, then I strongly urge you to learn how to cull.  You can't let the poor things suffer.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 17:56 »
If you really cannot do the deed yourself the alternative is to take her to the vet and get them to do it - as ANHBUC and GrannieAnnie say please do not let her suffer.

twins

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 17:47 »
Hi just to let you all know I went home yesterday with the intention of taking her to the vets but found she had passed away in her nesting box. Very sad of course but glad she has been relieved of her pain. She went downhill very quickly and yesterday was the first day she had totally refused food. So I hope I didn't let her suffer too long. We are left with one very strong dominant hen what's the advice, does she need a friend?

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 17:53 »
Sorry for your loss but at least she is not suffering.   

They are a flock bird so best to have 3 or more.  Do you have somewhere to put new hens for a couple of weeks in sight of your hen?  This will help her adjust to them and give you time to make sure they do not have any ailments or unwanted guests.   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:00 »
So sorry about your chook. She does need friends but you do need to consider what to do if you should need a vet in the future :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Sick hen advice please

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 11:03
by richyrich7
xx
Any advice please - Sick Hen

Started by Roger Millen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 01:42
by hillfooter
xx
Advice on Culling a sick Hen

Started by Prod on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 09:12
by Casey76
question
Sick Vera....any advice?

Started by joodith on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 16:24
by joodith

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.