News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

Oliveview

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #300 on: April 18, 2015, 13:38 »

Their last photo together.  Happy New LIfe Celeste 2,  you deserve it.   :D :D :D

Pamela

PS  Celeste on the left, Tedy the right
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 13:42 by Oliveview »

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2015, 16:28 »
We adopted Bobby from Rumania two months ago (Yorkshire terrier), he has been such a good friend to Buster in his last months of life and now Bobby is still bemused even though we showed him Busters body, I don't know if that was a good or bad thing to do, we thought it might bring a little closure to events. The things that are happening in Rumania are really shocking, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11 »
dogs grieve just like we do, most of mine have grieved for a week or so but have known others to grieve for months.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Snoop

« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2015, 13:12 »
When I was a bit younger, a dog of ours pined away when one of our cats died. They'd been very close (slept in the same basket every night almost since the cat arrived as a kitten some 12 years earlier). My parents were heartbroken at the loss of both the cat and the dog. And people say animals don't mourn.

Aled

« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18 »
When our black lab passed away (he was 17yrs old) the cat spent about a week wandering around the house, and asking to be let into every room, and every wardrobe. I think (although I don't know) he was looking for the dog. He also used to do the same when my parents went on holiday and he was home alone with me.
Cheers
Aled 

RubyR3d

« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2015, 17:27 »
We adopted Bobby from Rumania two months ago (Yorkshire terrier), he has been such a good friend to Buster in his last months of life and now Bobby is still bemused even though we showed him Busters body, I don't know if that was a good or bad thing to do, we thought it might bring a little closure to events. The things that are happening in Rumania are really shocking, Dave
.     My daughter adopted a dog from Romania via a lady who fosters them in the next village. They raise money here to send to wonderful ppl over there who rescue them and sort out papers and travel. She's adorable, and now with alice she's beautifully behaved and lovable. Wherever she goes with her ppl actually stop to stroke her and she loves it. Yes things ARE appalling over there. So much cruelty everwhere in the world towards creatures.

Oliveview

« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2015, 14:28 »
It has been a long time since I updated here-  I will update the last year!
We fostered the 4 prickly pear pups until they were found new homes-  one went to a family local, two to families in Barcelona and the other to a lady in the UK.  We said we would not foster for a while-   I think form memory that lasted a couple of weeks!   A lady had been fostering 5 puppies for our rescue group-  2 went off to a new rescue group to find homes for and the other three remained with the lady- sadly some of hr dogs decided to attack one of the pups-  he was badly hurt but survived.  We went the same day to collect the 3 pups, we fostered the 2 un-injured pups and the other went to a lady for rest and tlc, he was fine and was adopted.  The other two went to new families not that long after, I actually forgot, we had them at the same time as we had Jenny the last prickly pear pup here! 
We fostered a Teckel type dog for a month- he was hard work, he hated Charlie and would attack Charlie at every chance-  one day Charlie bit him back- so off to the vet.  In the end we had to cage Chechu if Charlie came into the house.  Charlie would look in the front door to see if it were safe, then run under the table to hide.  The family who adopted Chechu say he is great with other dogs!  All the dogs we have ever fostered (about 30)  have all loved Charlie and followed him everywhere. 
We then fostered 5 young puppies that were abandoned-  oh they were hard work-  5 pups meant a lot of poo and pee!!  I tried leaving them in a  dog crate the first night, not a good idea, they were covered in poo the next morning!  They all had dreadful fleas-  I took 40 off one of the little girls the second day!  They were too young to be treated with the strong flea stuff, I had to dip a cloth in the mix and wipe it over their coats.  Once their fleas had gone I tried them with our dogs, our lab Charlie (33kg) was terrified of them (1.5kg)   All 5 went to new homes in Barcelona.  NO MORE fosters we said.

We then fostered a small galgo for a couple of days- NO MORE we said.

We are now fostering an Ibizan Podenco-  she is pure white, with huge spotty ginger ears and a ginger ring like eye liner about one eye.  She is as skinny as can be (breed type) and legs that go on forever and is taller than Charlie.  She loves nothing but playing.  At night she sleeps in the garage- as soon as she is let out it is chase Charlie about the garden time .  She is totally clean, and very well behaved.  I did catch her one evening trying to eat sardines out of the tub as I was doing the dogs meals-  I went to get her dish from the garage, I arrived  back into the kitchen and discovered her with her head in the tub! 

A man went to the president of the rescue groups house and said Nuba was his Podenco-  she had no microchip-  there is a scar on the top of her leg, about where a chip would have been.  The hunter was told that she had been sterilised-  ´oh I don´t want her then´  he said-  not that he was getting her anyway- no chip so not his!  She is about a year old, she has a couple of ´large´ teats, I would not be surprised if she had already had pups.  She hasn´t been sterilised yet, hopefully the group can get it done in the New Year.  We were just supposed to have Nuba here for a couple of nights, but the lady who was fostering her only has a roof terrace, not ideal for a Pod that needs space-  so as she was good we said we would foster her until she gets a home.  She was interested in our cats-  Miki saw her and chased across the room and whacked her with his paw-  she now ignores him!

If anyone wants to adopt a Podenco- I have one!!!

Pamela

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #307 on: January 09, 2016, 21:01 »
Wow you have certainly had your hands full! I love reading your updates, it makes me want to foster once the children have flown the nest.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2016, 12:20 »
fostering is great, today I say goodbye to my foster boy - he is a 6 year old English bull terrier who for the last 4 years has spent most of his time living in a crate. Today he is going to his forever home down south.
My Fred was a foster but has stayed with me and shall do forever.

Oliveview

« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2016, 18:28 »
A long time has passed since I wrote here!
Nuba went to a rescue in Scotland, in a house, not a kennel, she was reserved for adoption virtually straight, she is now happy in her new home. We said no more foster dogs here for a while, so the very next day we picked up a little boy!  Ozzy was living next to the A92 motorway, on a busy road, how he survived I do not know. There had been another dog with him, a Podenco with a rope about her neck. She was caught with a dog trap, the rope was embedded deep into her neck! Kim, as she has been named has healed fast and is living with the president of the group For the love of dogs and cats. She is very nervous, but today actually let the ladies son stroke her!!  Back to Ozzy, we think he is a Bodeguero Pincher cross. He loves everyone, every dog, except the vets dog!!  :lol:
Ozzy is off to the UK this weekend, he was seen on my fb page and the lady who adopted Nani, another of our foster dogs wants to adopt Ozzy too!! 
I don't know if you remember the ' prickly pear' pups we rescued, the last, Jenny was terrified of everything and everyone, she was adopted to the UK and yesterday won best rescue and reserve champion in the local dog show!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:  Little scared Jenny has done good!
Once Ozzy goes off, no more foster dogs, for a while anyway, this time we will stick to it!  With the £/€ we need to tighten our belts for a bit!  :( 

Pamela

Aled

« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14 »
Hi Oliveiview
I hope you are well. Which dog refuge are you involved with please? We are looking for an older dog to rehome.
All the best
Aled

Oliveview

« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2016, 15:18 »
Hi Alex, have you got your older dog yet?  My friend is hopefully taking a 10 year old pregnant podenco from a horrible perrera (pound), she is waiting for permission for the dog to be able to leave before she gives birth there. 
We did say no more fosters after Ozzy left...... We then took in Chico, a possible Chihuahua cross miniature Pinscher, he was adopted and we then took in two Galgo, very similar to Greyhound, Galgo are abandoned in their tens of thousands every year. Poor Rey has Leish, but luckily low level. He has had his leg broken and left to mend, so now it is fused at the lowest joint.  He has a huge scar on his vack too. Leo is in perfect health. They both go to Birmingham greyhound protection, leaving us on Wednesday. We will not be without a foster dog though, we have Mario, a Bodeguero Andaluz. He is not cat friendly! There has been a podenco on the track by our house, so keeping a look out for him too! 
Mario heads off to Miss Mollies Rescue in Harrogate in January, if we get the podenco he will be heading off too in January. Then NO MORE DOGS until after April!!

Pamela

Aled

« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52 »
Hi Pamela
Not yet, but we saw a cracking lab around 2 years old in a Spanish rescue, just wondered if you could suggest a rescue for us to have a look at.
Cheers
Aled

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 39 queries.