runny nose and sneezing- again

• 9 Replies

jhub

• jane
runny nose and sneezing- again
« on: May 24, 2010, 19:22 »
Hello,
Visited the vet as one of my chickens had  runny nose, sneezing, couging and weight loss. She appeared to improve on  a week's course of septrin antibiotic but today (2 days later)  has a runny nose and has started to sneeze again. She is still scratching around and eating well and her 2 'sisters' are well.
Any advice or is it another visit to the vet?
thanks
Jane

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: runny nose and sneezing- again
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 19:29 »
I would go back to the vets she may need a different antibiotic (I have had to do this with the sablepoots).
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 19:34 »
I wonder if animals get hayfever and other allergies.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 19:44 »
Funny you should say that!  I was only saying to Joyfull and dizzielizzie about one of my Rhodey girls.  Last summer and autumn she had sneezing, touch of runny nose, but eyes clear, eating and drinking well.  I had her and the others on aureomycin, which didn't seem to do much.  then it went away!

She has been fine all winter and early spring, but few weeks back started it again, so now I've put her in isolation on aureomyin and some denagard I filched from Joyfull, but she isn't hardly any different. I'm convinced she has hayfever, and Dizzie said one of her girls does the same!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 20:00 »
well Mrs poot has finished her course of Ab's had today - she has a snotty nose and runny eye again  :(.
perhaps she has hay fever too?
One of my dogs ChasP has to have an antihistamine tablet every day from May through to October as she has an allergy that makes her loose her fur and she rubs her back raw, but on the hayfever tablets she is OK, so if she has allergies why not hens?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 20:11 »
I'm sure my Rhodey doesn't sneeze as much when I crush her a Clarityn tablet in her water!  :D

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 20:22 »
so GA should I try an antihistamine on the basis that if it doesn't work it isn't hayfever???

but on second thoughts I am so new to this I shall only fret so will take her back to the vet- I must say that I have researched the use of Septrin in poultry and have not found any sites that mention it. Another Q for my poor vet.
Thanks again
Jane

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 20:37 »
Funny you should say that!  I was only saying to Joyfull and dizzielizzie about one of my Rhodey girls.  Last summer and autumn she had sneezing, touch of runny nose, but eyes clear, eating and drinking well.  I had her and the others on aureomycin, which didn't seem to do much.  then it went away!

She has been fine all winter and early spring, but few weeks back started it again, so now I've put her in isolation on aureomyin and some denagard I filched from Joyfull, but she isn't hardly any different. I'm convinced she has hayfever, and Dizzie said one of her girls does the same!

Yep, grannie as you know i have one that does the same. henrietta is one of my first lot of ex-batts, She is a big girl, looks healthy, never off her food but gets sneezes and wheezes from time to time, but not a runny nose or bubbly eyes. She has had lots of AB's none of which have made a difference, she has never got any worse, her eyes are clear and even through the cold winter we had she was fine, but come the nice weather she is back to sneezing again. The vet thought her respitory tract had maybe been damaged by the amonia in the factory and every so often it flares up....i dont know, but i dont give her AB for this anymore because she is never actually ill with it and they dont make a difference. I always watch her like a hawk though because if it did develop into something more serious she would be straight to the vet for treatment
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 20:41 by dizzylizzie »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 20:47 »
Thanks Lizzie!  I couldn't remember which hen it was!   :D

Jane, I can't tell you what to do with your girl, I can only tell you of my own experiences.  I'm not a vet, but an ordinary chook keeper like the rest of you!  Okay, so I've got a few more chooks than most of you!  but I'm still learning something new every day! 

jhub

• jane
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 20:56 »
Hello GrannieAnnie

I really appreciate your advice and have been looking in my 'drug' cupboard ( which is very extensive) and found some Clarityn- how much water did you use for dilution?
thanks again
Jane

xx
He is sneezing and has a runny nose

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:23
by Oliveview
question
runny nose

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 23:11
by warrenlovinmama
xx
Help confused re runny nose

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 20:55
by Loulih
xx
Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:58
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 39 queries.