wilting passion flower

• 3 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
wilting passion flower
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:04 »
I wonder if anyone can help. I’ve been trying to grow a passion flower (caerula) in a large pot against a south/southeast facing wall to climb a trellis and after two attempts the same thing has happened, plant looks initially healthy starts to climb the trellis then wilts from the top and dies. The first time I thought the soil may have become waterlogged and I added loads of grit before trying a second plant. The soil feels damp but not waterlogged.
I’m really confused as to whether I have overwatered or underwatered! From what I’ve read passion flowers are tough and grow in dry poor soil so my instinct is to under water rather over, but obviously a small plant needs to get going well first.
I really want a passion flower there but maybe I should give up and try something else? Any thoughts?

Goosegirl

Re: wilting passion flower
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:14 »
I've had a look on-line and it could be due to a sudden frost, uneven watering, lack of nutrients, it wilts after flowering, or possibly Fusarium wilt.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:41 »
Thanks, I guess uneven watering has certainly happened with a lot of dry weather but some heavy rain - and it seemed to die after the heavy rain of a week or so back.
Is it worth changing all the soil in the pot before planting a new one just in case some disease/pest is in there?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 13:16 »
How deep is your pot? Maybe a deeper one would help the roots to get more established. Does it have broken crocks or pebbles in the bottom to assist with drainage as the holes may have got bunged up with soil. I'd carefully lift it out and have a look; also gently scrape a bit of lower un-wilted stem and if it's green underneath then the plant should still be alive. Have a look on the RHS website and see if they can assist you.

xx
Passion flower

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 20:29
by Beetroot queen
xx
Passion Flower

Started by Markw on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 16:33
by muckyboots
angry
passion flower

Started by single mum back to nature on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 20:06
by Yabba
xx
Passion flower plant

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 23:02
by goose

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.