My jam STILL won't set!!!

• 22 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 00:03 »
Quote from: "dawninspain"
Do you use a jam thermometer grannie?  I find with some jams that the 'finger test' is equivocal.

Oh what an idiot i am, went to click on quote, and clicked on edit instead, then wondered why my reply ended up in your post Dawn!!!!

I did have a sugar thermometer, but I blew it up a few months ago, and as I don't get out much, (sad sod!) I haven't replaced it yet!!!!

Also, pleased to announce that the blackcurrant jam actually set itself, but after about 3 days!!

And yes, if I do have jam that doesn't set well, I call it a conserve, and have it with ice cream or plain yoghurt!!!

David.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 08:04 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Also, pleased to announce that the blackcurrant jam actually set itself, but after about 3 days!!

And yes, if I do have jam that doesn't set well, I call it a conserve, and have it with ice cream or plain yoghurt!!!

Sounds like I'd better wait a couple of days before sticking "Conserve" labels on.

Oliveview

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 21:06 »
My cherry jam did not set so re-boiled it then it set fine, still lovely flavour.  Friend had some gave me 8/10 (no label on jar so deducted points) he said it was better then his wifes... didn´t tell him we reboiled ours!! Even hubby kept quiet (he knew what was good for him)
Pamela (in Spain)

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 23:46 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Add a few goosberries to the stawbs next time,you can`t taste the goosberries but will set well.

Yes, I seem to remember this working in the past. Due I think to the high content of pectin in the goosegogs
Ah well ! There is always next year !

chrissie B

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48 »
have you tryed the powdered pectin , i ysed it this year to be on the afe sied .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30 »
A friend of mine doesn't use pectin at all, but must have a candy thermometer so it reaches the right setting stage. If you'd rather do something quicker than 30 minutes and counting, use pectin, but we tend to add more than a pkg of pectin if the fruits seem a bit watery. per load, we'll add about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pkts of pectin depending on fruit, plus we add some lemon juice to all our jams jellies to perk up the flavours and add needed setting acid.   8)

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 14:17 »
Either use gooseberries or a Bramley apple to help set jam. Another way, which I haven't tried, is to add a couple of tablespoons of redcurrant juice when making strawberry jam.   With strawberries if you wash them first you are adding extra water which affects the set.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 22:17 »
I've never seen powdered pectin, but have read recently how to make your own with apples, so might try that, but don't tell the OH as he won't eat anything if he knows its got apple in it!

I never wash my strawberries Lesley, as I pick them from the field down the lane where they sit on straw, and they are lovely just as they are!!!  But I will make a note of the redcurrant juice idea for next year!!

But the plum turned out just right!!!!

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.