Sloes

• 23 Replies

Trikidiki

Re: Sloes
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 12:17 »
As Salmo said they send out loads of suckers. A short walk in the country should find a pony paddock with loads encroaching into the field, ask the owner and I'm sure they would be happy for you to dig them them up.

andimac

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39 »
You do not need many sloes. Probably easier to take a country walk in the Autumn and pick some.

Who would want blackthorn growing anyway except in a wild hedge or wood. Nasty prickles and a tend to put out suckers.

Well, I would prefer to go and pick some in the wild but given the nearest I have found are an hour's drive away and don't seem to have very much fruit on them, I have decided instead to plant some in my garden. If they don't work, I will just have to go buy some sloe gin instead!

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 17:39 »
I wish people would remember not everyone is as able bodied as they are!

I know a country walk down a lane would probably find some but I am not always capable of walking anywhere and sometimes it's a struggle to get out of bed due having Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as well as a whole host of other health issues. I am trying to grow what I can in my garden so on days when all I can manage is staying at home I can still have the joy of picking free food/fruit. I am trying to put the work in on good days so on bad days I can enjoy it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 18:57 »
I wish people would remember not everyone is as able bodied as they are!

I know a country walk down a lane would probably find some but I am not always capable of walking anywhere and sometimes it's a struggle to get out of bed due having Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as well as a whole host of other health issues. I am trying to grow what I can in my garden so on days when all I can manage is staying at home I can still have the joy of picking free food/fruit. I am trying to put the work in on good days so on bad days I can enjoy it.

I don't think anyone on this thread realised you were not able bodied, fallen angel.  But more power to you for trying to find ways round your problems and trying to get the very best out of life :)

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 20:59 »
To be honest I didn't really want people to know but in lots of threads I see people assuming that others can do things without limitations and it wears a bit thin when your sat here with a willing brain and uncooperative body. One day I may be able to take a walk to collect sloes but I may not be able to carry them home. My health is unpredictable and I can't be the only one on here with issues can I?

My point was people are quick to respond with answers that don't actually answer the question asked. The amount of comments saying something like 'go for a nice autumn walk' or other comments about why you wouldn't want them in your garden when actually some people can't just go for a walk hence why they may want them in their garden. I suppose I'm trying to say maybe people should answer the question and if they feel they have anything extra to add ie the sloes give of suckers etc then say something like 'It might be worth baring in mind that ......'

I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything but there may be many reasons why someone asks a question and just because you may do it a different way or wouldn't want to have a prickly bush in your garden doesn't mean someone else is wrong for wanting/needing it in theirs.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 21:09 »
There's no need for you to explain, fallen angel.  There are a number of gardeners on these forums with mobility problems but it is difficult to second guess what's behind questions without any qualifying information. 

I'm sure replies will be more useful to you now that our members know you have mobility issues. :)  And reading the topic back you have had some useful answeres on this topic too.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 10:58 »
I'm lucky in that my mobility is pretty good - but all the sources of sloes that were available to me locally are no longer reliable or no longer exist. One area that used to be particularly good now seems to be harvested in late August!
So I had some blackthorn slips for Christmas - I've put a couple in hedge areas at home and a few on the plot edges. I'm not expecting a crop for a good few years though. If I have to give the plot up for any reason I plan to 'guerilla garden' the sloes...
Good luck with your F.A.

Pip pip,
Balders

Trikidiki

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 11:01 »
Apologies if I have offended you. As the father of a virtually wheelchair bound MD sufferer, I, of all people should not be so presumptuous.

Please check your Personal Messages.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 15:11 »
Apologies if I have offended you. As the father of a virtually wheelchair bound MD sufferer, I, of all people should not be so presumptuous.

Please check your Personal Messages.

Hi I am not offended I just sometimes can't bite my tongue. Will check my messages now.

Thank you

xx
sloes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 10:07
by Salmo
xx
No Sloes (again?)

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 09:48
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Blackthorn - how old before sloes appear ?

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:15
by Rangerkris
xx
Sloes, Damsons or something else

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 10:48
by chillinut

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 39 queries.