Watermelon in the UK. Any hope!?

• 9 Replies

maddave

• Experienced Member
Watermelon in the UK. Any hope!?
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:39 »
My dad, on his travels, has brought a packet of Watermelon seeds back from Singapore.  The packet doesn't give any indication of temperatures or sowing times, but I assume they need lots of heat and water.

Have I got a hope in hell of growing these in the UK outside?! I am down south, so hopefully will have a nice hot summer!

I was going to start them off in a heated propagator around mid april, then transfer to larger pots before keeping them covered in a small cloche sized polytunnel over the summer. I dont have a green house unfortunately.  I have no idea what the plants actually look like.  Do they trail across the ground, should I let them climb?  How many fruit does one plant produce?  how do you know when to pick the melons?!

Any advice would be very useful! :)

Muls

• Experienced Member
Re: Watermelon in the UK. Any hope!?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:10 »
They are huge plants, I let mine trail, but haven't tried water melons outside, only under cover.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50 »
Never tried growing melons but I seem to remember that the fruits need some support as they swell and think ladie's tights were used and tied to something sturdy.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01 »
You definitely can grow them outside. They are HUNGRY and you can't let the watering slip, but you will get them. I am just up the road from you and I got a 2.5kg watermelon last year, outside. I started mine early inside under cover and then put it out after I harvested some spuds. I let mine trail on the ground and they do take space, but you can wind the vines around. Advice is also to put black plastic under the plants to warm the soil more, but I didn't do that. Knowing when to pick it is hard. I followed this:

A ripe watermelon should have a symmetrical body shape, a buttery yellow underbelly, and a skin that's neither too dull nor shiny. If you're harvesting from the garden, the watermelon's ready when the stem curls and turns brown and the place where the melon touches the ground turns yellow.

Don't tap it to see if it sounds hollow because you'll bruise the innards. Slugs love the baby fruits, so be careful. I'm going to protect mine with mesh bags this year - I would have had another 4 melons if they hadn't snaffled them.

Hope that helps!  :D
watermelon.JPG
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:03 by surbie100 »

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22 »
Amazing! I was thinking it would be a no go! Thanks all!  Great advice Surbie.

I already have plastic down on the site so will be growing through this. I am hoping the variety I have got will be hardy enough as it is most like a Singapore loving variety and might not do too well!  Fingers crossed!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:30 »
Hope that it works. The variety I had was Red Star, and am trying Sugar Baby this year too.  When you have baby melons, it helps to put them on a stone or something to keep them off the ground which can mean a bit of rotting. And if you cover the vine with earth about a foot away from the fruit it will root and get extra nutrients - just like squashes. That's why I didn't use the plastic.

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 13:24 »
They like a loooooong, hot growing season. You'll likely have the best luck with a small fruited variety. I don't think something like a Charleston Gray would work out too well 😜 Smaller is definitely the way to go.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

KellyPriest

• Gardeners Twickenham TW1
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 14:08 »
I might give them a try as well. Watermelons are delicious and I loved them when I was a kid (Didn't eat any in a while  :blush: ).
In cold, rain or sudden fear
I use my garden gear
To harvest all my crops
And have a healthy meal in box

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 15:20 »
i'm trying blacktail watermelon from real seed catalogue, very early and bred for cooler climates

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 18:04 »
I have grown Blacktail Mountain before and they have done quite well, they have been developed for a cooler climate. I will be growing Bozeman this year to see how they get on. Again these have been developed for a shorter growing season.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Watermelon outside

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 16:23
by Dopey113
xx
Growing own watermelon

Started by Df79 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 18:18
by Subversive_plot
xx
Watermelon sprouting

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 18:28
by gobs
xx
Watermelon not growing

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 10:48
by Ema

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 38 queries.