Hen Falling over

• 4 Replies

Mad Max

Hen Falling over
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:23 »
Hi, I have a mother hen (orpington black) and in the last 24hrs she as become unbalanced when she pecks for food.  If she trys to clean her feathers she topples over.  When she walks She is unsteady on her legs. She's heathy but she has been moulting and I notice she has only short tail feather's at the moment.   Would these short Tail Feathers make her unbalanced ?.  I'm open to sugestions from anyone.
Cheers Mad Max

orchardlady

Re: Hen Falling over
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59 »
A couple of things that may be woth looking out for.

Is she eating plenty and drinking well.

Do a very very careful check of her coop and bedding to see if she is suffering from red mite. These little beasties can be very debilitating and make a hen extremely weak.

A moult can really take it out of a hen so she may well be feeling low. Try giving her some tuna (tinned in spring water not oil or brine) not too much just a desert spoon full each day to boost her protean intake. Don't worry if her chicks eat it too it will do them no harm but maybe give her a little extra for herself.

Orchardlady :)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 14:57 »
it also migth be worth checking her feet for thorns or scabs.
she might not be able to put weight on the foot.

thorns would hurt enough, but scabs might indicate something worse, like bumblefoot.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:21 »
The tail feathers won't affect her balance.  I agree with the advice from orchardlady and andreadon about checking for other issues.  Also check around her eyes, ears and beak for any kind of discharge or sour smell that might indicate an infection of some sort.

When you say she is a mother hen, how old are her chicks?  Has she just got off the nest after hatching them?  What feed are you currently giving her and/or the chicks?

She may benefit from a multi vitamin and mineral boost as well as the protein boost already suggested.

Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06 »
Hi again all, 
 I call her my mother hen because she's the boss hen !! she dos'nt have any chicks. I did look at her feet and there seems nothing wrong. Yesterday Sunday I gave them all a good powdering with anti Red-Mite powder, also their house/coop.  I do clean their house out every afternoon and spray with  little Jayes Fluid on the floor. I use Poultry Shield every month in summer.  I'm thinking she may have hurt her leg, I'v checked her legs/thighs/wings and everthing seems to be working OK.  Today Monday she seems to be walking a little better. I will keep you posted.
Mad Max

xx
chick falling over

Started by caerkev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 00:33
by agapanthus
xx
Chicken falling over, help

Started by Flossiej on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 21:27
by Flossiej
xx
one of chickens is falling over,hot,fla

Started by man316dara on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 14:01
by richyrich7
xx
the sky is falling down - acorns!!

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 22:40
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.