yolk colour?

• 3 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
yolk colour?
« on: July 24, 2014, 17:07 »
My buff orpington has just started laying again after being broody when my wife cracked 1 of her eggs for tea she found that the yolk was a very pale yellow and not like the other eggs she used is there something wrong with it as she has gone broody twice before and her eggs have been normal.

Sassy

Re: yolk colour?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25 »
The dark yellow colour of a yolk comes from chooks eating greens such as grass/veggies etc. Perhaps she has not either had access to or is not eating these types of food? :)

It may just take time for her system to get back to normal. Hatching and brooding takes a lot out of hens you could try a tonic such as Poultry Spice. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:20 »
the manufacturers of poultry feed have a yolk colour chart which they use to decide what to add to their mix. Most organic feed will contain marigold (or a member of the same plant family) to give you a rich golden colour.
Now if your girl is out filling up on other grasses or plants rather than eating her layers she may not be getting her colour quota :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48 »
When my birds were very young and just starting to lay their eggs were pale then, so nothing to worry about  :)

I was weeding the other day, lots of chick weeds and dandelions and I ended up with a veritable mountain.  I would normally have just give them to the hens but I don't have any girls now and it made me really sad. Daft I know but they would have made mincemeat of the whole pile in minutes.  They are great at recycling! I miss the eggs too of course

Enjoy your hens!  :)

xx
Yolk colour

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 16:35
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
egg yolk colour

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 09:16
by Sassy
xx
Colour of egg yolk.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 22:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Yolk colour

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 11:01
by Brambles

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.