Wishing one's life away?

• 15 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Wishing one's life away?
« on: December 13, 2017, 17:58 »
At this time of the year I can't wait for the end of this month. I know I'm wishing my life away but January/February means so much to me:
The Christmas madness is over for another year
The days start getting longer
I can sow onions and leek in my propagator without wasting my time
Snowdrops and other early spring flowers start to appear
TV programmes cease being populist rubbish
The Rugby League Superleague season kicks off in early February

What do others think?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Wishing one's life away?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 20:15 »
I always struggle though the darkest days of winter, my world doesn't really brighten up until mid Feb, when we really do notice daylight hours increasing. SAD isn't nice and I keep forgetting to take my Vit D tablets  ::)

It's just really a warm room, the cat on my lap and a few good books that will keep me going 'til then.  ::)

arh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:38 »
I'm with you there Mos, but I suspect most country brought up people are, it's not so noticeable with all the street-light in towns.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:04 »
Its not just  country folks.  I hate the dark evenings with a passion.  I think I must have been a tortoise in a previous life - my ideal would be to go to bed at the start of November, wake for Christmas and then sleep till the middle of February.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21 »
Ive spent this last year trying to learn to live in the here & now after years of living with the thoughts well after such & such ,I’ll do this that or the other or well let’s get this out of the way & then I can ,have fun,do what I want etc. I used to really dislike the dark days & long nights & felt I suffered with SAD to a degree, but on reading this thread I’ve realised I’m not dreading those times like before. I feel I’ve embraced them & im looking forward to cosy long evenings with the curtains drawn against the cold, long quiet days where I don’t need to go out unless I want to, time to read & do my crafts, take up piano playing again. Having a rest from the garden & allotment. I’m sure by Feb/ March, I’ll be itching to sow things but all in good time.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:02 »
Cosy sessions in in front of the fire are fine. Trouble is that as you get older, it takes much longer to get mobile again after an hour or so of warm inactivity. Thank God for my powered treadmill

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 13:42 »
That's the trouble, isn't it? Each winter I seem to lose some mobility unless I exercise as much as I can, indoors.
Although that seems a real effort and isn't nearly as pleasant as the exercise I get when I'm gardening  :nowink:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 13:42 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 14:26 »
Every day has its good and bad times. I try to make the best out of whatever comes my way. Spring is seeing new beginnings from the garden, summer is an enlightening time, autumn is reaping the crops you planted earlier, and winter is a time to rest, reflect, and rejuvenate yourself for the coming year. I don't just mean this in a gardening sense, but to look wherever your mind has been and know there is always light at the end of whatever things you have been through.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 14:39 »
Well, I've just taken advantage of a lull in the rain and sleet to dump three barrow-loads of horse muck onto the beds in the polytunnel. Fed up of philosophising and recharging my batteries. When you get to 75, every minute counts  :D

arh

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 14:54 »
That's the truth, Alan.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 17:43 »
when I retired i thought allotments in the summer and hedge cutting  in those short winter days like I've been doing for several years

but for some reason or another things seem to be  getting more busy this year i haven't stopped keep finding jobs to do outdoors haven't even cut a bit of hedge or ploughed my allotments had a couple of days of when it snowed then for i could say jack robbinson  i was seconded for Christmas shopping  :nowink:

but like the rest of you i hate being cooped up in the house all day the only thing good about these  winter days is as said there short days I'm ready to call it a day around half three and although I'm not a scrooge  like to think after Christmas i can look forward to spring and I'm getting itchy feet then so i start up the greenhouse lighting the stove getting the place warm sorting trays  and pots with O/H but January/February is still cold not sowing seed weather but it passes the day for both of us putting the world to rites having a couple of cups of tea a bacon butte perfection  ;)

but as you say and i tend to agree these winter months are suppose to charge those batteries up ready for spring mind you at 70 i mite be a youngster compared to some of you but i know i can't work like i could when i was 20 years younger  :lol:

don't get to depressed because after Christmas spring will just around the corner and we will all be ready to wipe the cobwebs of the allotment gate  :D :D :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 18:06 »
    Just made a list of outdoor jobs to do as soon as the frost disappears and sleet stops falling

Harvest sprouts, leeks, parsnips and celeriac
    Barrow more muck into polytunnel
    Put two sacks of sand into bench-top propagator
    Empty two "Dalek" compost bins and spread contents on outdoor beds
    Repair tear in polytunnel
    Dig up stray strawberry runners
    Repair large wooden compost bin
    Re-site phlox plants in front flower border

Christine

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 18:25 »
Alan I have a list of things to do as well. However the ground is frozen from about an inch below the surface despite the thaw. It won't be workable when the "warmer" days turn up at the start of next week. However, frost might thin down the pest population.

Aled

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 10:13 »
Now I get this and yes I too love spring and summer, but I have a series of stepping stones to get me through. November, wildfowling, and the autumn rugby internationals. December, two young children its Christmas concerts, and school events plus some rough shooting. January: That's my long month as I also do dry January, (no alcohol all month) a little bit of shooting,  February and early March the 6 Nations. When that's finished we are into spring and the garden and the fishing season are just beginning. However over the winter months I also cut logs for the following years fire, and I usually do some care work on the veg plot, (composting etc) however we don't seem to get many dry winter days anymore weather always seems dull and damp!
Cheers
Aled

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 16:29 »
Ive spent this last year trying to learn to live in the here & now after years of living with the thoughts well after such & such ,I’ll do this that or the other or well let’s get this out of the way & then I can ,have fun,do what I want etc. I used to really dislike the dark days & long nights & felt I suffered with SAD to a degree, but on reading this thread I’ve realised I’m not dreading those times like before. I feel I’ve embraced them & im looking forward to cosy long evenings with the curtains drawn against the cold, long quiet days where I don’t need to go out unless I want to, time to read & do my crafts, take up piano playing again. Having a rest from the garden & allotment. I’m sure by Feb/ March, I’ll be itching to sow things but all in good time.
I was just thinking about this earlier in the week Snowy.  I spend far too much time planning (and sometimes worrying) for the future, and not enough appreciating the 'here and now'. I shall try to take a leaf out of your book, but if you have any tips they'd be much appreciated.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
Signs of Spring. Wishing my life away?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2021, 08:51
by rowlandwells
xx
Bag for life.

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2023, 09:54
by Subversive_plot
xx
Life hacks...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 19:22
by Subversive_plot
xx
Life hacks...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2021, 18:14
by jaydig

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.