Raspberry disaster

• 6 Replies

Jackypam

Raspberry disaster
« on: February 16, 2017, 17:33 »
For the past 2/3 years I have been pretending that this isnt  happening. I have a big fruit cage with one long thin bed for raspberries and 3 squarish ones, 2 for the blueberries and currents, and one for strawberries. All nice and permanent. However for the last couple of years the raspberry canes have been getting weaker and the harvest dreadful with the canes turning brown mid season and basically dying.  I have tried replacing but they go the same way.  Help!  I could perhaps swap the raspberries with the strawberries, bit of an odd shape, but I could.  But will it be far enough away not to be infected with whatever it is?  There is only a paving slabs between the beds. Advise please 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 18:22 »
If it's only the raspberries struggling,  it suggests to me they might be suffering from one or more virus diseases - I've certainly lost some over the years, although it always seems to be the plants which get the worst of the light where they're planted which suffer the most.

I'm no expert on how persistent or easily spread these viruses can be, but I'd be tempted to try a different variety in as 'clean' a space as you can find, and give the plants as much TLC you can to improve their chances.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 19:15 »
Are they summer or autumn rasps?

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 21:00 »
You could dig out the soil & replace with some from further away
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:14 »
Is your soil well-draining? If not, did you plant them too deep as they are quite shallow-rooting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 15:55 »
I had an issue a couple of years back. I planted some summer rasps in a well prepared bed....they seemed ok but then went brown and died off. I tried again the following year with rasps from a more reputable supplier and they did the same thing, so I'm guessing it's a soil thing.

The bed next to it had autumn rasps in and they were fine.

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 23:49 »
One half of the bed is summer, the other is autumn. The ground is quite waterlogged in winter although the top few inches are ok. The bed is slightly raised. The soul is much compost added to clay.  Raspberries were planted about five years ago and were ok but not really thriving for the first few years.  Recent additions have started to fail straight away. All were planted near surface.   So if I dig out the top couple of inches and replace with fresh, then plant some new ones, do I have a chance?  I could raise the bed a couple of inches more? 
Thanks for replies so far btw.

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Pea Disaster

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 14:02
by supersprout
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy
xx
Oca disaster

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 11:25
by Markw

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 41 queries.