Very Overgrown Allotment

• 14 Replies

Supergiles

Very Overgrown Allotment
« on: July 08, 2010, 19:00 »
We have just been given an allotment from our local council after a 3 year wait. We are very eager to get started and are after some advice. The allotment is VERY overgrown with thistles, weeds, bind weed and a whole host of other nasties. What is the best way to clear it? Any advice is greatly received ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Very Overgrown Allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 19:06 »
Welcome to the forum :)

Have a look here http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

and good luck with it!

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 19:13 »
I would suggest johns book 'the essential allotment guide' 99p at the works book shop :) the have an online store. I have to say I am rather addicted to his & vals books the writing is in plain English and both interesting and informative :) personally the 'roundup' route would seem the one for me short term. Good luck  ::)

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 19:24 »
Good evening Giles and welcome to the site. :D

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 19:49 »
Hello and welcome!!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 21:02 »
Welcome Supergiles, you bring back very memorable happy, back-breaking and blistered handed memories :D

When we first started, it was in the August, and our plot was 8ft high in brambles.  My hubby had picked me up from work, and took me to see it.  I nearly fainted when I saw it.  My first thought was "where do I bl**dy well start".  Anyway, we got the loppers and shears and started chop, chop, chopping.  And do you know what, it was really stress relieving.  After a day at the office, I would litterally run to the allotment and start chopping.  It took us 3 months to fully clear it, including digging out the roots.  I would like to say, that I was addicted to it.  We decided not to try growing anything until it was completely cleared and the following Spring, we'd planted all sorts, and because it hadn't been worked on for 8 years, and the soil was virgin, the stuff that was coming up was astronomical :D

I would like to say, enjoy it.  Its magic ;)
Babs

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 21:43 »
yes welcome and good luck being a total newbie myself

the one thing this forum has taught me is
 :blink:
its not a race  :D

so good luck and any chance of some pics

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 22:19 »
Just a couple of quick thoughts - I was in a similar position 18 months ago.

Strim smallish areas, then either dig and plant, or cover the area til later. Just strimming (or clearing above soil by any method) only works for a while. It's amazing how simply covering the ground kills most things off and at least it slows the growth of baddies like couch, bindweed and brambles.

Second - is there anything to salvage? Don't automatically dig up things like rhubarb, soft fruit plants (raspberries, gooseberries etc). Clear around them and leave them to give you some produce while you plant and wait for your own varieties to reach fruiting age (at least a year).

Good luck.

sillysuffolk

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:43 »
We have just been given an allotment from our local council after a 3 year wait. We are very eager to get started and are after some advice. The allotment is VERY overgrown with thistles, weeds, bind weed and a whole host of other nasties. What is the best way to clear it? Any advice is greatly received ::)

Hi there. I had similar problems when I began on my allotment with just the sheer size of the plot to clear! I soon realised that it was unlikely that I would use the whole plot in the first season so I covered various areas with some old carpet as we were decorating at the time. When we removed the carpet the following year all we had to do was scrape the dead material and dig it over, it was easy! It is also preferable to just dumping the carpet at the skip. Obviously if you haven't got any you can't just rip up your lounge carpet but anything that will cover the ground would be useful. Every year I now cover whatever part of the plot i'm not using.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:54 »
Should point out the general concensus on here that old carpet can contain many chemicals in the dyes and the backing which you don't really want leaching into your soil.

No problem with cardboard, various types of plastic and woven sheeting intended for garden use, although each of these has their pros and cons.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43 »
We had this problem last year and it is daunting to start with.  In the end we took the easy route with Roundup, in a couple of weeks you feel it's not so bleak as it first looked, then you can start digging bit by bit.  Good luck and someone said 'it's not a race', little and often and as you leave look over your shoulder and see what you have achieved. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 13:18 »
Should point out the general concensus on here that old carpet can contain many chemicals in the dyes and the backing which you don't really want leaching into your soil.

No problem with cardboard, various types of plastic and woven sheeting intended for garden use, although each of these has their pros and cons.

I would echo JayG here - please don't use carpet, some councils in fact ban their use on plots.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 13:29 »
I would go the round up or other weedkiller route myself,it might cost a bit to do it but it will be worth it in the long run.
Then just work your way through it bit by bit digging weed roots out and get it ready for next year,dont try and do it all in a weekend youll just sicken yourself.

KTAS

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 15:30 »
 There are some great tips here. Just been reading through these and it sounds like my allotment too. I have just taken mine over but the grass and weeds are AT LEAST 6FT TALL in places so this forum link is great information and hints/tips

Thanks in advance for these tips

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 16:38 »
Take pictures before you start, I didn't and really wish I had.  Take lots of pictures as you go it helps to see what you have achieved when the tasks at hand seem overwhelming.  Good luck and have lots of fun :D

xx
My 'new' allotment - all overgrown

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2018, 17:52
by Silva
xx
Overgrown allotment offered, but no water on tap!

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 18:15
by Sadgit
xx
Clearing an overgrown allotment plot organically?

Started by Jazsnap on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 21:24
by Madame Cholet
xx
Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales

Started by missgreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 17:03
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 40 queries.