Using Dithane

• 29 Replies

cathy81walking

• Aspirations to Heligan's perfection in my dreams..
Using Dithane
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:50 »
Hello all

I'm a first time poster and in need of some advice.  Have been reading that others seem to have early blight ( :tongue2: ) and I'm pretty sure that I have it on my pink fir apples growing in containers (actually, my first lot of bush tomatoes ended up being destroyed as they came down with some very mysterious brown spots that no-one in the local garden centre seemed to be able to diagnose - so got rid of them just in case!).  So off I trotted to Wilko's yesterday to buy myself a sprayer and some dithane.....but having read the instructions, I'm a bit scared of it  :( !

Once its mixed up in the container, how long can you keep it?  If it's not supposed to get into the water table, what do you do with the excess?  And if you are mixing it in a bucket (for example) do you then have to get rid of the bucket or just clean it out thoroughly.  Can the sprayer be used for anything else after cleaning, or is it best to keep one just for Dithane.....

This is the problem with being a 'home' grower - too many questions that even the best books don't seem to have answers to!!

Looking forward to your advice  :) !
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done ;)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Using Dithane
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19 »
You could use google to search for information, there is a lot there. Mancozeb is the active ingredient if that helps. It's a systemic fungicide, so many would not apply it to food crops.

I have some sunflowers, dahlias, and tomatoes all in the same bed which have black leaf damage, and the dahlias have significantly curled leaves but no black damage. It is interesting that the lower leaves on the sunflowers are clear.

I have another bed a few feet away with tomatoes in which show little damage. This could mean that whatever is causing the problem is in the soil.

This could mean that what you have is not blight.

Cleaning containers is not difficult, fill and empty three times with clean water will reduce the chemical to negligible quantities, but where to empty it?

Getting rid of excess mix is difficult if done the proper way which via a licensed waste route. I imagine fungicides are particularly difficult to dispose of because they interfere with some of the fundamental decomposing organisms which are needed to produce compost.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:21 by oldbean »

JWK

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35 »
Theres no need to empty out the sprayer if you have left overs. I used it last year on my tomatoes. I mixed up a sprayer full and kept applying it every fortnight. It did stop the blight getting any worse, so I'm sure the active ingedient didn't deterioate.

PS: if its early blight I think that isn't much of a problem, its completely different to late blight which is nasty.
John

cathy81walking

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:17 »
Thanks for the advice - will steel myself to mix some up and have a go with it tonight and might use some of the excess on the rust on my hollyhocks (blooming things!).

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:00 »
I'm surprised there wasn't any instruction on the box about disposal/storage. I know for some other chemicals they say not to stored once diluted and excess can be sprayed onto bare soil. Just make up small quantities at a time to see what the coverage is like.

cathy81walking

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 13:41 »
Well, the box didn't say anything about storage and just to take the container to your local council run amenity for disposal.  It didn't say anything about whether mixing containers could be cleaned out and re-used and the toxicity warnings worried me as I have animals and children around the garden.

Spraying excess onto bare soil a good idea, but as the pre measured packets make up a set quantity, I don't want to mess around with the amounts I make up - especially as I'm not experienced with this stuff!

This kind of good advice from all you experienced gardeners is what is missing when you don't have an allotment - I'm a member of our local Allotment and Garden society and get their newsletter, but its never going to be the same as having a gardener on the next plot with years of experience to share!  Might have to write a letter to go in the newsletter along those lines, how forums like this are the twenty first century way of sharing the knowlege - but I bet its been done before!

gillie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 14:44 »
The sachets of dithane are far too big!  I tip the contents onto a sheet of paper, divide it into four, use one quarter and store the other three quarters in folded up pieces of paper until I need them.

I keep one small sprayer for dithane and rinse it out after use.  Dithane does not actually dissolve, it remains as a powder suspended in water so you have to give the sprayer a good shake every now and then.  I would sling any spare onto my bonfire heap and start again fresh with the next quarter.

Cheers,

Gillie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 14:50 »
Hi cathy81walking, welcome to the forums. 

I see our resident anti-chemical warrior oldbean has already advised you.  I hope you manage to beat the blight, it can be devastating  >:(

Can you post any pictures of affected plants so that we can better advise you if we think it's blight or not ?

cathy81walking

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 15:18 »
I will have a go this evening - don't have camera with me (at work, naughty naughty :nowink:!).

I did remove the worst affected leaves last night (as it was raining and I didn't want whatever it was all 'splashing' around everything else), but I'll have a look later.... Hope it doesn't rain again!

Thanks goodness I have a resistant maincrop variety in the ground (although one plant has curlyish leaves so I'm eyeing that with a certain amount of suspicion!) - I'll still give it a squirt - and I like the idea of dividing the dithane up like that - a very good idea!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 16:06 »
  Dithane does not actually dissolve, it remains as a powder suspended in water so you have to give the sprayer a good shake every now and then.  I would sling any spare onto my bonfire heap

Gives off fumes in a fire.
 http://actrav.itcilo.org/actrav-english/telearn/osh/ic/8010017.htm

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 16:14 »

Gives off fumes in a fire.

Most things do. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 16:18 »
I think they probably mean a warehouse fire rather than small bit of waste in a bonfire on a breezy day  ::)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 16:30 »
It won't matter soon, Mancozeb is on the list of chemicals to be "restricted" under EU legislation in 2009.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 16:32 »
Time to order in a big supply then. ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 16:34 »
That'll be potatoes off the menu then  :lol:

xx
Can you still buy Dithane?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 13:14
by vron
xx
Dithane 945

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 04:56
by DD.
xx
DITHANE 945

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 14:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
dithane

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 18:13
by Steve.B

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 40 queries.