greenhouse shelving

• 1 Replies

dave

greenhouse shelving
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:00 »
Thought I would pass on a tip which I got from another forum a couple of years ago, and have found useful

You know those shelving systems you can get at DIY places- vertical slotted metal strips which fasten to the wall, with movable sticky-out-bits which go into the slots?

Well the better quality version, with pairs of slots, can be used in the greenhouse

You need the longer variety of cropped-headed bolt, and a degree of patience getting the nuts onto them as they are only just long enough.
Problem is the bolt is wobbling round or sliding down in its groove while behind the thing you are trying to fix to it.  With hindsight, a bit of blutak under the head of the bolt to hold it steady might do the trick, but I haven't tried it.

Probably have to drill out the fixing holes in the metal strips to fit the bolt diameter- can't remember.

I use a couple of the uprights on the end verticals of a standard 8x6, with a couple of the shelf support pieces on each, and use them

a with planks on as shelving
b with guttering on for peas
c removed while grapevine grows through later in season

cheers

dave

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
greenhouse shelving
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:38 »
Nice one Dave,
I noticed TwoWests are doing brackets for the same purpose - not sure how they compare pricewise.  The TwoWests ones start at 3.75 for the 6" version and 3.95 a pair for the 10" version - MORE INFO FROM TWOWESTS

Incidentally, the shelves you are talking about were originally designed for shops - if my Dad had only patented his system......
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Greenhouse shelving

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 15:35
by compostqueen
xx
Greenhouse heater & shelving

Started by Remy on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 22:35
by JayG
xx
Anyone got a 2ft deep lean- to Greenhouse and can advise on staging/shelving?

Started by PennyS on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 22:39
by PennyS
xx
Broder Heavy Duty Shelving from Ikea

Started by Jaye on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 13:17
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 35 queries.